Rust removal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novo

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this Toyama gyuto which has this nasty rust spot. I would appreciate if I could get some advice on how to remove it.
Thanks in advance
IMG_20201123_113050.jpg

I usually start with some kind of metal polish such as Mothers, Flitz or Simichrome.

If this doesn't work, it means that the rust is too deep. Then, I usually move on to a rust eraser or wet and dry sandpaper.

You obviously need to be super careful that you don't cut yourself while doing this.

It's a bit tricky to see from this picture. But first up I'd try scrubbing it with a cloth and some bicarb mixed with just enough lemon juice to make it a paste but not enough to dissolve it completely.

If that doesn't work then move to using white vinegar and a scrubbing pad.

[Or what Nemo said above. Lots of different options, shouldn't be too tricky to remove :)]

And definitely what he said about cutting yourself! I've sliced my fingers open far worse when sanding blades than I have when using them in the kitchen.

Thank you very much.
What grit of sandpaper do you recommend?

Looks very close to the edge? If so you could just get it out on regular sharpening stone?

Thank you very much.
What grit of sandpaper do you recommend?
Depends on the finish of the blade. I usually go a bit finer than what I guess the finishing grit on the blade is. Maybe Toyama is circa 600-800 grit? I'd probably start at p1000-1500 and monitor the results.

Robin's point about using a stone is well made- this spot could easily be incorporated into a maintennence thinning.

If it doesn't come off easily with abrasives, I'm sure the rust would come off with Evapo-Rust. I'm not a chemist, but this stuff truly seems to attack only rust leaving the unrusted metal untouched. For a spot like that a bit of paper towel soaked in the liquid would hold it on the rust spot until it's had time to work. Mind you, if that's a big pit, you'll be left with a (rust-free) pit you'll still need to deal with, but at least you've stopped the deterioration and can spread out the rest of the repair.

(Woodworking circles use Evapo-Rust mostly in repair / restoration of old tools. Once cutting edges are pitted there are additional issues in play.)

Latest posts

Back