Rustic Reactivity

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bumped into these Cut Brooklyn knives. I kind of like how the maker (Joel Bukiewicz) forces a rustic patina.

An interesting way of dealing with reactive steel, just force your own patina on new knives and sell them that way.

Maybe other knifemakers do that too, but this is the first time I've seen it.

k.

Cut_brooklyn_knives.jpg

Small world... I just talked to him yesterday...creepy!
And yeah, his stuff looks really cool!

Ditto the above posts,

I saw his knives three or four years ago and have always thought they were awesome. Now that I have a better understanding of knives I really appreciate the profile design he has chosen. Other than that I don't know much about how they perform.

I haven't spoke to Joel in awhile but he's a cool guy to talk to - a 100% knifenut!

i've met joel and he seems like a fairly nice guy.....his knives were nicer in person than i thought they were.....the handles were nciely finished but some were a little different to hold....i've never used one so i can't speak about performance but it looked like a pretty nice knife.....a little expensive from what i remember about prices but.....ryan

Hi Mr.Drinky. I've been doing that for a couple years now with my 52100 blades and the "mustard finish."

standard.jpg

Works great and seems to be quite a popular look.
-M

Hi Mr.Drinky. I've been doing that for a couple years now with my 52100 blades and the "mustard finish."

standard.jpg

Works great and seems to be quite a popular look.
-M

That mustard patina is awesome. How do you get the pattern so consistent? Do you apply it with a brush?

I haven't spoke to Joel in awhile but he's a cool guy to talk to - a 100% knifenut!

Ok, this is getting weirder. He said, "If you run across Dave Martell, tell him to give me a call. I haven't spoken to him in ages"!
So, I guess give him a call. Haha

It seems like Joe's profiles have gotten a lot better. I'm not sold on the handle but I've never held one so I will withhold judgement. He obviously has a following.

I agree, Rockbox.
There seems to be more flat towards the heel, and a more pronounced upward curve at the tip.
The handles look cool, and I see no real problem with them, to be honest. I've said it before - the handle is mainly aesthetics, if you ask me. They give a knife personality, and appeal, but I rarely notice one in my hand. I guess, that's how I know it's a decent one.

Back