• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Ryan D Geiger 230 + ADD ONS! [Knot nakiri sold]

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ryan D Geiger 230 gyuto
Picked up here, second owner, great example of @Illyria's work. 1.2562 carbon monosteel coming in at approx. 231x53.5mm and 182 grams. Nice distal taper and convex grind. The handle is really nice ironwood with a nickel (?) spacer with awesome fit and finish, but note that (as with most RDG knives) the handle is slimmer than average. Used for a few meal preps at home, never sharpened. Asking $325 $310 $300.

PXL_20230407_210521339.jpg

PXL_20230407_210508853.jpg

PXL_20230407_210535450.jpg

PXL_20230407_210611860.jpg

Knot Handcrafted 170 nakiri - SOLD
Picked up last month here to get more rectangle options in my life, but like every other nakiri I've tried it didn't click. If that's what you're into it seems nice though! AEB-L with a pleasant heft at 203g for 168x55mm. Convex ground and has a somewhat Shihan-esque balance of sturdiness and cutting performance. Handle is a sort of shield shaped deal that's quite comfortable in use. I think I used this 3-4 times, didn't touch stones. Asking $175 which is what I paid.

Prices include shipping CONUS, can send to Canada for a bit more. International let's talk. Open to trade offers for cool stuff generally.

PXL_20230407_210736021.jpg

PXL_20230407_210746583.jpg

PXL_20230407_210838216.jpg

Last edited:
Will sweeten the deal for the gyuto for anyone that is hesitant of a smaller handle - I'll rehandle it with a larger one for you (just pay shipping).
Super generous of you!

Obviously handle dimensions/shape are very much a matter of personal preference, but Ryan's craftsmanship on the current handle is just impeccable. Super smooth transition on the metal spacer, crisp edges, rounded front and butt ends, and really nice organic figuring in the ironwood. Whether you stick with the current handle or take Ryan up on the offer, it's a winner.

Reactions: JB1
Weekend bump. If you missed it upthread, the RDG includes a free rehandle if desired by the awesome @Illyria (and I'll cover shipping if you want to take advantage of that right away).

Oh and feel free to throw any trade offers out... interested in Gengetsu SS, Kochi B2, ApexUltra anything, stainless 180s, Migoto blues/ginsan, cleavers...

Weekend bump. If you missed it upthread, the RDG includes a free rehandle if desired by the awesome @Illyria (and I'll cover shipping if you want to take advantage of that right away).

Oh and feel free to throw any trade offers out... interested in Gengetsu SS, Kochi B2, ApexUltra anything, stainless 180s, Migoto blues/ginsan, cleavers...
Stainless 180 santos, or just gyutos?

Weekend bump and drop: $300!

I've gotten lots of nibbles but no bites on this one... in the interest of tipping someone over the edge, I'll add two nice and reasonably priced sujihiki options. I'll only be letting go of one and only as an add-on:

- Ashi white 2 mono 270x34, 122g laser suji with super nice cocobolo handle by Cody Paul I believe. This one's been well used and refinished by a prior owner - add on for just $150.
- Spåre 1.2419 mono 285x43 237g heavyweight suji, lightly used at home only - add on for $260.

See top two here:
PXL_20230204_205309195 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I still can't believe this is still here?!

If anyone missed it, Ryan's recent for sale post indicated that he will be producing far fewer knives in the future and he already doesn't make very many. May be a great time to snag one of his works.

Last edited:
The geometry on this knife is honestly perfect for me! My main concern is the steel though, since I am still very new to sharpening.

I am definitely lacking in my knowledge of western steels, so if anybody who has experience sharpening 1.2562 could weigh in, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm basically trying to get an idea of just HOW abrasive resistant this steel truly is. I don't mind spending some extra time on the stones; However, I am certainly not ready to start sharpening on anything beyond traditional synthetics for the foreseeable future.

Will this blade be a huge headache for a novice sharpener to attempt to maintain? Should I just stick with simpler steels until I gain more experience? Or am I being overly cautious?

RDG is SPF sold with Spåre suji, thanks KKF!

The geometry on this knife is honestly perfect for me! My main concern is the steel though, since I am still very new to sharpening.

I am definitely lacking in my knowledge of western steels, so if anybody who has experience sharpening 1.2562 could weigh in, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm basically trying to get an idea of just HOW abrasive resistant this steel truly is. I don't mind spending some extra time on the stones; However, I am certainly not ready to start sharpening on anything beyond traditional synthetics for the foreseeable future.

Will this blade be a huge headache for a novice sharpener to attempt to maintain? Should I just stick with simpler steels until I gain more experience? Or am I being overly cautious?

My experience with the fairly similar aogami super was that it took a little extra time and attention to form and remove a burr, but wasn't significantly more challenging than blue 2 or other W/V carbon steels with normal (non-diamond) stones. I've been sharpening for a few years but not an expert by any stretch. Not having sharpened this knife I can't say much more.

Last edited:

I stole this table from Larrin's site to make a quick point:
1687887690789.png

1.2562 is still a pretty simple steel, it won't be that noticeably different than Shiro/Ao 1/2 if that's what you are accustomed to. It might take something like 10% more time on the stones? I'd be surprised if it didn't behave almost identically to what you have.

I stole this table from Larrin's site to make a quick point:
View attachment 250995

1.2562 is still a pretty simple steel, it won't be that noticeably different than Shiro/Ao 1/2 if that's what you are accustomed to. It might take something like 10% more time on the stones? I'd be surprised if it didn't behave almost identically to what you have.
Wow thank you so much for this helpful info! What I would love to find, as I get more into western makers, is a list of abrasion resistant steels. I'd live to know which steels basically require diamond stones to sharpen, so I can know which ones to avoid for the time being.

Wow thank you so much for this helpful info! What I would love to find, as I get more into western makers, is a list of abrasion resistant steels. I'd live to know which steels basically require diamond stones to sharpen, so I can know which ones to avoid for the time being.

A general rule of thumb is 4%+ vanadium and you're into diamond or CBN territory if you want to do things right and not wear your stones.

This is a good resource for looking up steel compositions: Composition Comparison Graph For The Knife Steels AISI 440A, AISI 440B, AISI 440C Version 4.36

It gets much more complicated but that's a start. Knife Steel Nerds and Science of Sharp are good resources as well.

Back