Ryusen Blazen santoku: good as a care free daily driver?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
Okay, so my sister saw some of my new knives and now she wants a proper one too.

I gave her a Kiwi small cleaver a few years ago, but she can’t/won’t sharpen it. I am now thinking of getting her a proper santoku, one I need to use sometimes too at her place. After having verified she will be somewhat careful with it, I have so far decided on a Ryusen Blazen western handled santoku. I will sharpen it for her, every other month or so. Edge retention needs to be good, but I’ve heard good things so far.

Is this too fragile? Would this be a good choice as a daily driver for someone who can’t be bothered being very careful? Or am I better off getting a 100 euro santoku from JCK? Or even a Robert Herder? I’m in the EU, and the Ryusen is locally available for 220 euro.

I happen to own a 240 and a 270 Blazen gyuto. I first used my 240 on some cold roasted pork belly. I didn’t expect the crust to be so crunchy. Sweet chips in the whole length of the edge... So, while I LOVE the knife, it is chippy...

My guess is that a Misono 440 will be less prone to chipping due to softer steel...

Blazen is a thin behind the edge knife made of hard steel. One of many that you'll see discussed on the forums.

These knives need to be looked after in a common sense way but not necessarily babied.

You need to decide whether your sister will take your advice about how to care for it seriously (you know, no hard/frozen/ crusty food, no dishwasher/ no scraping with the edge, no walk- chopping, no pull through sharpeners, avoid bangining it on crockery or other hard stuff...)

If you are not sure that she can, then DYY's suggestion of something softer and tougher or at least less thin might be worth considering.

Thanks all for your helpful comments. I should admit that one of the reasons for me wanting to gift the Ryusen is that I can try it out for myself! :) Have even considered keeping it for me, but it’s hard to justify having a santoku given other knives I have (though none of mine are ss).

The Takamura is an excellent mid tier suggestion, thanks!

How do you guys view the Misono 440 versus the Swedish carbon? I have two Swedish already but no 440. I might even lend her my Swedish petty, see how she handles and likes it.

I got my sister in law this Misono UX10 4 years ago and it has put up with a tough time. It holds an edge a long time and if I buff it a little, with some 800 grit paper, while I sharpen it; it can appear to nearly brand new.

She enjoys getting it back after I have sharpened it and cleaned it up. It is a quality present: Misono UX10 Series No.781 Santoku 180mm (7 inch)

Its nice you want to share your joy with your sister. I hope she gets it. Sometimes people don't.

How do you guys view the Misono 440 versus the Swedish carbon? I have two Swedish already but no 440. I might even lend her my Swedish petty, see how she handles and likes it.
With all Misonos: very nice F&F, comfortable handles, excellent QC, you may easily buy them blindly, horrible factory edge due to overheated buffering, leading to a weak, overly polished, convexed edge you best get rid off ASAP. All Misonos are quite asymmetric. Edge off-centered to the left, convex right face, flatter left, meant for right-handers. Versions for left-handers with a truly inverted geometry available.
The Misono Swedish Carbon is very finely grained. Hardness about 59Rc. Don't expect a spectacular edge retention. Can very easily return to a crazy sharpness, though, by very easy means.
The Misono 440 is relatively coarsely grained, still sharpens easily. Provides a toothy edge. Not the highest degree of refined sharpness, but very well suited to Western cuisine. Reasonable edge retention on poly boards. Excellent alternative to the big German names.
Misono UX-10 comes with an innovative design you may like — or not. Steel is Sandvik's 19C27, made for industrial purposes. Very coarsely grained, with evenly distributed large carbides. Very toothy, keeps its bite even when dull. Frankly unpleasant sharpening.

About the Ryusen Blazen: impressive F&F, good edge retention, far from simple sharpening. Very expensive.

Agree with all of his. I would add that it has the most sublime balance (I acknowledge it's a fairly intangible property).

At basic levels of sharpening skill, it doesn't seem too hard to sharpen. It's only when you get to be a good enough sharpener that you notice how much easier it is to make carbon steels sharper. I think that a part of the differnce is deburring, a part of it is in the angle at the very edge that the steel will support.

With these replies I'm starting to move away from the idea to get the Blazen. I have already ordered it but it's a local shop so I can check it out for myself, admire the F&F, and then return it. :)

How about the JCK blue moon as an option? JCK Natures Blue Moon Series BM-3 Wa Santoku 170mm (6.6 inch)

All the positive reviews from what seem to be non-knife nerds are encouraging :)

Or you could try the Ryusen Super Gold line for around a hundred Aussie micro dollars (70 USD?) Less than the Blazen.

https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...d/products/ryusen-supergold-sg2-santoku-170mm

I believe that it's the same steel and grind as a Blazen but the blade finish is less refined/ pretty and the handle is a bit different.
Can anyone confirm the grind is the same as the blazen? I love the blazen but the handle is just a tad small for my liking. This could be a great solution.

I would second this recommendation for the OP if the above is true.

My new soapbox is to add a decent board instead of a stone for people who will not magically start sharpening. If you drop the cost of the knife throw the difference into something that will actually save the edge. MTC is having a sale on hasegawa boards which are light and easy to clean.

I would suggest that you talk to Jon of JKI - he offers several Ryusen lines and will be able to help you to figure out whether it is the knife you are looking for.

My experience which I have already shared with the OP: most of our loved ones do not share our passion and affection for knives and simply do not look after them accordingly.

While I encourage the OP to indulge and spoil himself (buy that Blazen for yourself if you want it), I wouldn’t recommend giving a delicate, hard, brittle blade to people who do not know how to treat such a knife. They will be disappointed (by the chipping blade for example) and so will be the OP...

I absolutely love my sister, for example. But I would never ever give her anything that we, KKF loonies, would consider a decent knife. Knives end up in the sink for hours at best if not in the dish washer. The very edge is scratched all over the board, any board, any material...

About the Ryusen Blazen: impressive F&F, good edge retention, far from simple sharpening. Very expensive.
This is my most difficult knife to sharpen well. Out of roughly 3 dozen. Once it has an edge, it lasts forever in all sorts of acidic foods though.

I've given Mac and Shun as gifts to good effect. They look good, can be beat up, left wet, they cut well, comfy in hand, AND I don't mind sharpening them when I return for the holidays.

Last edited:
Haha I know right!? Still need to get my hands on a Kamon. Why don't we arrange that :D

I'll graduate next term, then I should have the funds to be a bit more of a hobbyist again.
I was joking my friend! I keep my fingers crossed for you...

...and sometimes it’s better not to have the money. Things get out of control easily apparently...:upsidedownspin:

Back