S grinds?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys feel about S grinds?

361D008B-B549-4033-AC23-01BE7176041D.JPG

I've only handled one s-grind so this is based on limited experience, but I would take a convex grind over it every time.

When doing a dice, with my technique, it offered next to no advantage of food release over a good convex, or concave wide bevel - product still climbed all the way up the blade.

The one I used had the grind all the way along the blade, including behind the tip. This lead to a thicker tip that made it worse in doing the horizontal cuts through onions than my convex grinds.

YMMV, because we all have different technique.

Last edited:
I’ve tried a few s-grinds. The only one I’ve really liked is my knife from Dalman. It has a pretty subtle s-grind and is awesome overall. Feels like a convex knife.

Bad ones are thick wedge monsters. Good ones are fun to use. I love cutting potatoes, cucumber etc with mine. More of a niche product but glad I own 1

Definitely not a cure all.

I find them like this.

Cons:
Blade can be too lite making them hard to balance which is one of the reasons some are thick.
Symmetrical ones make the knuckle chopping technique a challenge.

Pros:
On the right food, the release is very good.
Can be low drag for a given blade height.

A variant I've been playing with recently is a one sided S grind. Lot of the benefits of a symmetrical S but with fewer of the short comings.

Last edited:
The s grind I have has no release problems and has nice balance despite being light assume it is due to the thickness on the spine. I imagine if I used it to cut items taller than my blade it would be less enjoyable.

Back