S30V or S35VN for my Spyderco EDC?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Limited

Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm going to pickup a couple of Spyderco Paramilitary 2 folders, one for my wife and one for me. What I wondering is, is the price for the knife in S35vn worth 50% more than the S30v model. I found the S30v model on Amazon, but I've only been able to find the S35vn at Bento Box. If someone knows of a better place than Bento, please steer me in that direction.

I don't have any experience (that I know of) with S35VN but cpm S30V on the Sage is a pretty nice steel for an EDC.

Tough choice. If were going custom, I'd 100% go S35VN. I've owned both and I love S35VN, but got rid of S30V.

I've got a Sebbie with S35VN. It's a nice steel that takes a good edge, but I don't know about 50% more.

Tough choice. If were going custom, I'd 100% go S35VN. I've owned both and I love S35VN, but got rid of S30V.
What is it you are doing with the knife that makes you notice a difference and what is it that you notice?

Not worth the price difference, it is easier to machine, and is tougher than S30V, marginally, it does seem to hold an edge longer, accepts a thinner edge, and isn't as prone to chipping from my testing.
But 50%? That seems high.

The price difference sucks, but s30v, is, IME, not a suitable steel for an EDC. It chips like crazy, and then it is very hard to sharpen those chips out. Not worth it.

s35vn is great, but at $175, I wouldn't get it, unless you just LOVE spydercos.

im not really a fan of the s30 or 35 but spyderco does a great job of HT and i worked my s30v para hard

for me i liek to get ether fine grained and ultra edge or high carbide super ware that holds an ok edge for a dam long time

the midddle of the road stuff is great for most all ppl buti lie to pick and chose what end of the spectrum i want (not liek i have jsut one pocket knife to carry )

i have s30 cpm154 M4 and s125v along with VG10 440v 3v and gin1

i think i need to make myself a new folder but im not sure the steel i want to use yet (one of these days i ll make a 3v/cpm154 powder damascuss blade )

Mine isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I had (actually still have one that I won at a golf tourney) Leatherman with S30V. It's definitely a hard SOB of a steel and the factory edge was really nice, so it can get sharp. However, as Eamon said, it's brittle, and just annoying to try to work on a stone. It never got as sharp as I'd like and I actually took a piece of the tip off when I was cutting some linen micarta...yeah, seriously! Haha
S35VN, however takes a great edge with a nice amount of tooth, yet it seems to keep some durability. I still haven't chipped my S35VN knife, and I use it on bones, seeds, etc. It's great stuff! Even the S35VN knife I used that I was less impressed with felt solid and stable. I remember actually thinking it would make a great EDC.
BUT, at 50% more...honestly, I'd take CPM154.

Thanks everyone for your replies. From my research tonight, the Paramilitary 2 in S35vn is very popular and issued in limited quantities. I think I might go with the Native5 instead. Plenty to be found, cheaper and for what we'll use an EDC for, way more than adequate.

S35VN doesn't really cost any more than S30V, so I suspect that what you are seeing is no discount on the newer knife and possibly a higher MSRP.

also some times a retailer will order a sprint of 1200 knives inn a combo you cant get any place other then fromm them so they can set the price at what they want

i cant failt them for that kind of pricing as thats a large outlay but also give them a better shot at making a OK profit in such a tight market

if ther was one bad side to online sales is that no one wants to pay more then 2-5 bucks over wholesale cost. that makes it really hard for the smaller guy to get a foothold or make the $$ needed to keep in operation

Well, after researching until 1:00am and then getting back on it first thing this morning, I pulled the trigger. I figured that as much as I spend on kitchen cutlery I might as well get what I wanted for my EDC. I ended up buying the Paramilitary 2 in M390 steel. :excited:

I had similar thoughts when I pulled the trigger on a folder from Randy at HHH!

Back