Sadanobu 貞信 Unagisaki Restoration Step by Step

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

i started a new restoration projekt. I will post pictures after all few hours of restoration. I don't know if it will be a successful or fail restoration. I have never made a full restoration of a Unagisaki knife before. If it fails, it's a fun thread to laugh about. Maybe It´s interesting for someone here.

Before Restoration:

Day1:
After 3h 30min of restoration:

Last edited:
just a few notes... the shinogi line is far too high for a knife like this. The bevel angle will be more acute as is, thus making this more brittle than it should be for the use of this kind of knife. Also, the back could have been saved a bit better. By flattening this much, you've significantly decreased the lifespan of this knife. Just a few things to consider and be careful for moving forward. That being said, I think projects like this are great... this is one of the best ways to learn.

just a few notes... the shinogi line is far too high for a knife like this. The bevel angle will be more acute as is, thus making this more brittle than it should be for the use of this kind of knife. Also, the back could have been saved a bit better. By flattening this much, you've significantly decreased the lifespan of this knife. Just a few things to consider and be careful for moving forward. That being said, I think projects like this are great... this is one of the best ways to learn.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes i know the shinogi line is far away from perfect. I tryed to restore the bevel with a Tormek because it´s to much material for hand sharpening. There is no Tormek jig for this job. After the Tormek i flatten it with a Atoma #140. I did it like I do with chisels. But I think the improvised Jig was not perfect in a 90° angle and the sharpening angle was also not right. In the picture " After 4h 30min: " you can see the hologrind of the Tormek wheel. Maybe i can solve this problem at my next knife.

what about using the side of the tormek stone. that surface is flat.

you probably need to put a wider angle bevel towards the edge on the now or?
i would at least. to increase chip resistance.

I feel like there's no more urasuki anymore, looks like overly sharpen. just my 2cent feedback😳😳

Back