Sakai based smiths and brands

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Will go to Sakai tomorrow or the day after. So excited, as I found the stores in Tokyo and Kyoto rather disappointing.

So, I read somebody recommend to go to Sakai knife museum. I know osakajoe once said the sales staff doesn’t know much, but still, is it worth going there?

Does Ashi let people in and/or have a showroom? I know they stopped selling to end consumers...

Mizuno Tanrenjo is from Sakai, right? He has a showroom/store front?

Sakai knife museum is okay for photos. Jikko has a showroom, Sakai Takayuki was building one, suisin has an office too. I remember ashi said ppl can visit in my correspondence with them.

Where did you go in Tokyo and Kyoto? There are heaps of good places for knives . Really depends on what you are looking for

I am also going to Sakai next month. I’m planning on viewing the knife museum but would love to piggyback suggestions here as well. I would love to come home with a gem of a stone and probably a knife. Have a great trip daddyyoyo

I am also going to Sakai next month. I’m planning on viewing the knife museum but would love to piggyback suggestions here as well. I would love to come home with a gem of a stone and probably a knife. Have a great trip daddyyoyo
Buddy, we should have talked about this and arrange our trips to meet there... Enjoy! I’ll let you know my thoughts...

Sakai knife museum is okay for photos. Jikko has a showroom, Sakai Takayuki was building one, suisin has an office too. I remember ashi said ppl can visit in my correspondence with them.

Where did you go in Tokyo and Kyoto? There are heaps of good places for knives . Really depends on what you are looking for
Thx!

I went to Tsubaya, another shop right across the street and Kamata Hakensha in Kappabashi. Also visited Masamoto Tsukiji. In Kyoto I went to Aritsugu Nishiki.

I am not saying these shops are not worth a trip. It is me, I am saturated with knives, and am hard to impress.

From the above, my favorite was Tsubaya. Plenty of Honyaki knives, with Mt. Fuji full moon...

Aritsugu Nishiki really was interesting. Here at KKF we are spoilt by fine F&F, whereas Aritsugu is really basic and raw. I guess here at KKF we are all nerds...

Update:
I started my tour at the knife museum, a nice place to begin with. Good English speaking staff, and a good selection of knives in every price range.

I then went from the museum to Mizuno Tanrenjo. On my way there I found Jikko and Murata. Then I entered Mizuno Tanrenjo and was blown away... What an experience. Yes, I did purchase quite a decent little knife. I had the opportunity to get a tour by Jun himself. What a magic place...

Afterwards I went to Ashi, where I was also guided through the premises by a staff member. And I even had a chance for a short talk with master Ashi himself. He is really very nice and it was a fantastic experience to meet him!

Mizuno Tanrenjo have a Store Front, so it is okay to just go in. At Ashi I would recommend to contact them by e-mail before going there. They do not have a store front so one should show respect by asking for admission.

I absolutely love Japan, and my trip to Sakai was worth every second!

Thx!

I went to Tsubaya, another shop right across the street and Kamata Hakensha in Kappabashi. Also visited Masamoto Tsukiji. In Kyoto I went to Aritsugu Nishiki.

I am not saying these shops are not worth a trip. It is me, I am saturated with knives, and am hard to impress.

From the above, my favorite was Tsubaya. Plenty of Honyaki knives, with Mt. Fuji full moon...

Aritsugu Nishiki really was interesting. Here at KKF we are spoilt by fine F&F, whereas Aritsugu is really basic and raw. I guess here at KKF we are all nerds...

Aritsugu and most of the tsukiji places strictly cater for tourist. Most think these are the best knives in Japan.. haha. I have seen many dodgy practices where they would sell them crap stuff or knives where they would not have the skills to use them (tourist have no idea).

Tsubaya is nice but it’s so small and crowded. Union knives is better imo

You should have gone to Kikuichimonji in Kyoto like 5-10 min walk from aritsugu. To me, it’s one of the best retail knife shops in the whole of Japan.

Last edited:
I then went from the museum to Mizuno Tanrenjo. On my way there I found Jikko and Murata. Then I entered Mizuno Tanrenjo and was blown away... What an experience. Yes, I did purchase quite a decent little knife. I had the opportunity to get a tour by Jun himself. What a magic place...

So what kind of knife did you end up buying from Mizuno?

You can checkout Baba Hamono in the area. I picked up a couple Kagekiyo's when i was there.
Also check out Konosuke ... though he doesnt really have anything to sell in japan.

Couple comments:
1. I Agree that Mizuno Shop was pretty magical ... just made me like Mizunos even more. Jun showed me around a little also ...

2. I didnt find the prices at the local shops to be that much better than what we can find online. Unless you want to buy from the maker to have the story, i dont know if you'll be able to find a **Deal**

I recommended the 2nd floor of the Sakai museum. That’s where they keep the nicer Sakai made knives from craftsmen. They have decent prices on knives since they are the Sakai cutlery association. And they have increased some English speaking staff. Eric is there sometimes as well.

Mizuno will show anybody who walks into the shop his back room. Lovely room, but it’s no longer being used anymore. They’ve switched into a wholesaler. I think they hold an event once a year where they fire things up for the cameras.

I do recommend contacting most actual makers before showing up. They are usually working and do not have a lot of time to take out if there day for people walking in. I also recommend buying something if you do plan on showing up, even if you didn’t like anything. Buy a small petty or something.

Visiting wholesalers or regular knife shops you will have no problem just walking in.

I recommended the 2nd floor of the Sakai museum. That’s where they keep the nicer Sakai made knives from craftsmen. They have decent prices on knives since they are the Sakai cutlery association. And they have increased some English speaking staff. Eric is there sometimes as well.

Mizuno will show anybody who walks into the shop his back room. Lovely room, but it’s no longer being used anymore. They’ve switched into a wholesaler. I think they hold an event once a year where they fire things up for the cameras.

I do recommend contacting most actual makers before showing up. They are usually working and do not have a lot of time to take out if there day for people walking in. I also recommend buying something if you do plan on showing up, even if you didn’t like anything. Buy a small petty or something.

Visiting wholesalers or regular knife shops you will have no problem just walking in.

1. Decent prices ... I feel like we can find decent prices scouring the net.
2. Mizuno ... Oh really only for show :(:(:( ... Switched to a wholesaleer!! :(:(:( I was going to say his stock seemed to be insane .. and he was very clean, in comparison to some of the other "makers"
3. i didnt know about the rule of buying a small something visiting their shops.
4. Can you give us a list of wholesalers or knife shops that we can walk into when others like myself go for a walk in sakai.
I know there is alot of politics but a general list for forgeners to go into would be great.
I had to book a private tour through sakai tourism and told them where i wanted to go ... i actually knew more then my tour guide about sakai knives.
THANKYOU OSAKA JOE!

Of course net will always have good prices. Many of the J knives you see sold online you cannot even buy in Japan. Many makers are focused on export. Don’t think I’ve seen a Kurosaki knife in awhile.

If you booked a tour that’s the way to go in my opinion instead of stumbling around by yourself.

It’s not a rule to buy something. I mean more in a sense if you plan on lingering and looking in the workshop. This takes up a lot of time they don’t have. They also most likely do not speak any English.

Imagine your a chef in your kitchen and a random customer walks in and starts looking at everything your doing and asking questions. Then leaves without sitting down and ordering food.

I don’t know if any Sakai forgers who let random people walk in. Usually need an introduction and a reason relayed to the visit.

Back