Sakai ginsanko wide bevels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this in excellent condition. it is stunning, F&F it tops. Would consider an offer. Where are you? Comes with saya, no box. Syousin knives are special!

There are widebevel ginsanko honyaki gyuto from toyonaga hamono in Tosa, if you're willing to look past Sakai. Michael from KnifeJapan works with them too and said that they are one of two in Japan who do ginsanko honyaki . . . so I would assume they know their ginsanko HT. The toyonaga hamono website also talks about cryogenic processing . . . forget which page though. I'm sure that Michael might be able to help translate an order for a kasumi ginsanko gyuto with a ho handle.

https://www.toyonagahamono.jp/original.htm#giuto

How insane is that mirror polish haha. I saw that one when Paul posted it and I was like jeez that would get scratched in one day in the kitchen I’m at. Some idiot yanked my side towels off of my table the other day. One of the towels had my shihan 270 on it. He flipped the knife in the air a few inches and it landed on the SS table. You can’t have anything with these morons. I have to educate them everyday. Maybe I should just bring in knives $300 or less lol.

How insane is that mirror polish haha. I saw that one when Paul posted it and I was like jeez that would get scratched in one day in the kitchen I’m at. Some idiot yanked my side towels off of my table the other day. One of the towels had my shihan 270 on it. He flipped the knife in the air a few inches and it landed on the SS table. You can’t have anything with these morons. I have to educate them everyday. Maybe I should just bring in knives $300 or less lol.
Sounds like you have co-workers that should find their stuff "accidentally" got frozen inside a 22qt cambro 🤷‍♂️

I noticed this thread is getting bumped so I wanted to give an after action report: OUL is still rocking my world. Solid hefty stainless beauty. Thick where it matters for comfort and stability, thin at the edge but without feeling delicate. The standouts for me is the handle and profile. Ginsanko is a breeze on the stones. Shinogi doesn’t impede cutting ability really except for onions, but even then it’s not the end of the world. Really want to get a kagekiyo ginsan kasumi with walnut handle next to compare.

I noticed this thread is getting bumped so I wanted to give an after action report: OUL is still rocking my world. Solid hefty stainless beauty. Thick where it matters for comfort and stability, thin at the edge but without feeling delicate. The standouts for me is the handle and profile. Ginsanko is a breeze on the stones. Shinogi doesn’t impede cutting ability really except for onions, but even then it’s not the end of the world. Really want to get a kagekiyo ginsan kasumi with walnut handle next to compare.
Kinda surprised you don’t have it already. I’m waiting for you to list the oul 😉

Those OUL ginsanko seem like solid pro knives man. I was very close to picking up the kagekiyo 270 ginsan from JKI but someone snatched it up. Right now i’ve been using a SS clad shihan 52100 that’s a beast of a knife. I absolutely love it. So much that I signed up for a custom in February. Definitely want another full stainless next though. I think i’ll keep it under $500 this time. These guys are killing me at work.

Those OUL ginsanko seem like solid pro knives man. I was very close to picking up the kagekiyo 270 ginsan from JKI but someone snatched it up. Right now i’ve been using a SS clad shihan 52100 that’s a beast of a knife. I absolutely love it. So much that I signed up for a custom in February. Definitely want another full stainless next though. I think i’ll keep it under $500 this time. These guys are killing me at work.
I love my ShiHan 52100. Works so well with pretty much everything and is solid. Doesn't react too quickly and reacts quite softly. Don't have to baby it, great knife for bringing it into work. Most coworkers don't touch my knives unless allowed except my Chef de Partie at Saucier. I bought a Chinese knife as a beater if I work with, besides him. No knife is safe from him except thick German ones.
What do you want from him by going Custom?

Craig, dang it, stop trying to sell me up to even more knives.

You and me will probably get our ShiHans around the same time then.

What are you in for? Ive asked for a 240 Ku 51200 Gyuto with a flatter profile.

Since I have the 270 SS clad 52100 already I think i’ll go for the AEB-L. I’ll definitely see what other options he has closer to time but his AEB-L sounds like it would work really well for me at work. Love shihan. You’re exactly right, you don’t have to baby them. I think I would be fine having a set from him for work and that’s it. Some stainless and some carbon. His prices are reasonable too. I actually enjoy the profile on my 270 but I definitely want something with a lower tip and a little more flat.

Since I have the 270 SS clad 52100 already I think i’ll go for the AEB-L. I’ll definitely see what other options he has closer to time but his AEB-L sounds like it would work really well for me at work. Love shihan. You’re exactly right, you don’t have to baby them. I think I would be fine having a set from him for work and that’s it. Some stainless and some carbon. His prices are reasonable too. I actually enjoy the profile on my 270 but I definitely want something with a lower tip and a little more flat.

AEB-L is a good choice from custom makers. I like my Tsourkan in it a lot.

A2 is also really nice. A little reactive but 20 or so minutes wet won't be a problem.

I’d love to hear how his aelb performs

Labor, I still have your takayuki ginsan. I’ve thinned it down. It’s actually a great knife. Though the ginsan is more delicate at the thinner stages, I have noticed the steel has plastic deformation earlier than say blue steel.
Hit me up if your interested in a kagekiyo vg-10 stamped Morihiro grind 240 Gyuto (factory edge, though I did use for a few potatoes.)

Back