• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Sakai Jikko Akebono 240mm Blue #2 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm selling my 240mm Sakai Jikko Akebono gyuto; I never thought I'd sell this one, but new purchases beckon and I need to fund them. I'm the original owner, and I've used it moderately in a home environment for the last two-and-a-half years. It's been sharpened twice, and only lightly used since the last sharpening. It's also built up a nice, stable patina along the front 2/3rds of the knife, as you can see in the pictures. Considering the Akebono line's excellent reputation and provenance, the fact that they've been discontinued, and the rehandle (see details below), I'm asking for $500 USD, including shipping within the U.S. I'd be open to an international sale if we split shipping charges. Note that this knife also comes with a very nice walnut saya from K&S.

This knife has one of my favorite profiles, custom specified by Knives and Stones, with a nice flat spot at the heel before gently sweeping up to the tip. As you can see from the choil, the grind is very thin behind the edge, but it feels stiff and authoritative in the hand given the spine thickness and relative lack of distal taper at the spine (see pictures for details). These knives were forged by Shiraki Hamono and sharpened by Tosa, and the craftsmanship is superb. As expected from K&S, the choil and spine are really nice rounded and finished as well.

A couple other things to note:

1) I had this rehandled with a Konosuke Khii ebony handle, which has very nice fit and finish. It balances the knife just in front of the pinch grip.

2) There's a bit of small pitting toward the tip of the knife, see pictures.

Steel: Aogami #2, iron-clad

Spine thickness: ~3mm at the handle, with little distal taper at the spine until the tip (see pictures)

Height: ~54 mm at heel

Weight: 220 grams

Handle: Ebony wood with laurel wood ferrule

Smith: Shiraki Hamono

Sharpener: Hirosugu Tosa

20210426_140411.jpg

20210426_140726.jpg

20210426_141904.jpg

20210426_140508.jpg

20210427_091201 (1).jpg

Full set of pictures:

Like I mentioned above, these knives have been discontinued, so this is an excellent chance to give this highly regarded line a try. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, the knife is back up for sale, the person who initially reserved it wasn't able to get it after all. Still selling for $500 USD, thanks!

oh wow is that ever a scary-looking choil shot.... deadly.

Latest posts

Back