• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Sakai Kikumori Yugiri 225mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to sell my Sakai Kikumori Yugiri k-tip gyuto. I purchased the knife last year on this thread. It has seen gentle use in my home kitchen.

This was probably the knife I reached for most (or maybe 2nd most?) over the last year. I found Tanaka's blue 1 to be excellent -- it seems to get and stay sharp for a really long time. I loved the height on this one, and I found the grind to be a good all-around grind. I found the taller neck near the handle to be very comfy in a pinch grip. This knife helped me understand why people like this style of handle install when everything is aligned well.

Knife is stainless-clad aogami 1. Handle is octagonal ebony with horn ferrule.
Edge length is 214mm, heel height is just under 54mm (~53.8).
Spine is 2.7 at the handle, 2.5 at the heel, approx 1.05mm at 1cm from the tip

Knife is in good shape overall. It did pick up some lengthwise (heel-to-tip direction) scratches in the cladding near the kanji when I was drying the knife after washing. I tried to show these in the last photo. I hunted to find the least flattering combo of lighting/angle I could find for this picture.

Happy to take more pictures or answer questions.

I got a good deal on this knife and I'd like to pass that on. Asking what I paid, $360 shipped CONUS.

yugiriRight.jpg

yugiriLeft.jpg

yugiriSpine.jpg

yugiriChoil.jpg

yugiriChoilChamfer2.jpg

yugiriChoilChamfer1.jpg

yugiriScratches.jpg

The grind on this knife is really thin.
Bumping to add some TBE numbers:

Thickness behind the edge at the blade's midpoint:
@1mm: 0.2mm
@5mm: 0.57mm
@10mm: 1.0mm
@20mm: 1.6mm

I'm going to get the rumorville going that these are Myojin ground.
I have no idea, but I've wondered that myself.

The grind on this knife is really thin. It’s almost as thin as my kono Fujiyama. Here’s a comparison yuguri left and fuji w#1 right.

View attachment 183535
This coil shot has going crazy ..!! So that’s awesome hands down! So why are they all sitting online..!! It’s impossible to get the konosuke FM Tanaka Yoshikazu..!! This
The grind on this knife is really thin. It’s almost as thin as my kono Fujiyama. Here’s a comparison yuguri left and fuji w#1 right.

View attachment 183535
omg this is pure awesomeness..! The konosuke FM Yoshikazu Tanaka is impossible to get..!! yuguri Sakai is online everywhere..!! You can buy it on 7 sites right now..!! I have bin trying to find the Tanaka FM konosuke but can’t anywhere..!! Yea there is a few big drops coming up ..!! But the list is endless for it ..!! So can anyone tell me why the yuguri are sitting all over the place..??? I’m listening???

This coil shot has going crazy ..!! So that’s awesome hands down! So why are they all sitting online..!! It’s impossible to get the konosuke FM Tanaka Yoshikazu..!! This

omg this is pure awesomeness..! The konosuke FM Yoshikazu Tanaka is impossible to get..!! yuguri Sakai is online everywhere..!! You can buy it on 7 sites right now..!! I have bin trying to find the Tanaka FM konosuke but can’t anywhere..!! Yea there is a few big drops coming up ..!! But the list is endless for it ..!! So can anyone tell me why the yuguri are sitting all over the place..??? I’m listening???
Because posts like Omega that you have read have vaulted Fujiyama to mythical levels, when there are plenty of knives even from the same craftsmen that can perform just as nice if not better....especially for newbies, they look for the best and they read about the fuji. Don't get me wrong I will always be a big FM man, but there is a lot out there in the $5-$700 range. Also a lot of people don't realize they can get Tanaka/other smith+Myojin combo to get a knife that will perform as nice as an FM, with similar levels of fit and finish. Konosuke has many years of excellence with the FM line, and it has been marketed well, also people have only started finding other Myojin knives within the past few years. Hell, Myojin only recently released his own line of knives like 1-2 years ago? He is becoming pretty prolific now.

Also, just an FYI, people usually don't take kindly to long discussions on for sale posts unless strictly related to the particular knife in question, just posting this here because the knife is sold.

Last edited:
Because posts like Omega that you have read have faulted Fujiyama to mythical levels, when there are plenty of knives even from the same craftsmen that can perform just as nice if not better....especially for newbies, they look for the best and they read about the fuji. Don't get me wrong I will always be a big FM man, but there is a lot out there in the $5-$700 range. Also a lot of people don't realize they can get Tanaka/other smith+Myojin combo to get a knife that will perform as nice as an FM, with similar levels of fit and finish. Konosuke has many years of excellence with the FM line, and it has been marketed well, also people have only started finding other Myojin knives within the past few years. Hell, Myojin only recently released his own line of knives like 1-2 years ago? He is becoming pretty prolific now.

Also, just an FYI, people usually don't take kindly to long discussions on for sale posts unless strictly related to the particular knife in question, just posting this here because the knife is sold.
Ok I heard that ..! Yea I only asked because it’s closed out and sold ..! I hear you loud and clear…!! Right on hands down bro ..!! My question still remains..!!

SAKAI KIKUMORI YUGIRI 225MM KIRITSUKE GYUTO​

Are these knives sharpened by myojin ? That coil shot is crazy and one of the best I ever seen on this post ..!! I have bin going back and forth about this and the konosuke Fm ..??? Really I just want a awesome arogami 1 Yoshikazu Tanaka..??? Stainless steel clad ..!! I can’t have my shallot turning black and doing anything twice..!! Lmao ..! I’m goin to Bernal cutlery’s San Francisco and then carbon knife company LLC Denver Colorado..! I’m spending two weeks in each city ..! I’m on the road all of January 2023 ..! Can’t wait to see everything in person!!

I believe a few retailers have said it is. But honestly, who cares. You can see the grind is similar to a fujiyama. Lots of great sharpeners can do a convex like that. If Tosa, Yamaguchi, Kawakita, Morihiro, even Kenya Togashi ground that, I can almost guarantee you that you would be hard pressed to tell a difference if they all did their convex grind. Buy the product first, before the names. You know you want stainless and blue 1 Tanaka forged which gaurantees a good blue heat treat, with a thin convex grind....you can see it has thin convex grind...who cares if joe schmoe ground it, as long as you can tell the grind is what you like. Lol.

Last edited:
Bumping to add some TBE numbers:

Thickness behind the edge at the blade's midpoint:
@1mm: 0.2mm
@5mm: 0.57mm
@10mm: 1.0mm
@20mm: 1.6mm

I have no idea, but I've wondered that myself.
I own this exact knife. Before I purchased it I asked Naohito Myojin was it his work, he confirmed this line was sharpened by him.

Back