Sakai Knife - Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippin89

Reaction score
Good Morning All

So as I mentioned in another thread I recently purchased a Nakiri from a website I found that sells knives direct from Japan. They have several makers on there and their knives vary in price obviously....

https://www.sakaiknife.com/shopping.asp

So this Nakiri was one of the cheaper ones (presumably made by a less experienced smith. The price from the website was 7200Yen which is about £51. By the time you add in shipping, import tax, handling fees etc it set me back about £80 so the equivalent of a lower mid range knife here in the UK. Obviously these costs may be different in other countries.... Also worth noting it took around 3 weeks to arrive from Japan including getting held in customs and waiting for the local delivery company to pull their finger out, and over the Christmas period so not too bad.

I wasn't expecting huge things but thought it was worth a try and it definitely was. The knife itself is top end quality and rivals knives I have that cost over £300. It is an absolute joy to use. The geometry is perfect in my eyes with a square tip (not a rounded tip that defies the whole point of a nakiri), and its a perfect fit in my hand and feels as comfortable as a knife I have been using all my life.

So is it perfect? No.... Sadly not, the one issue is in fit and finish. Where the handle wood meets the bolster there is a noticeable step. You can't feel it while using it so its not too much of an issue but if you run your finger over it you can. Which is a mild disappointment. Maybe the more expensive knife makers on the site will be better? For reference the most expensive Nakiri's are about £90 on the site so about £120 to my door in the UK.

Overall though for the money I would say its as good as it gets. If you have a smaller budget for knives then these guys are definitely worth a go! I will continue to update this as I remember too and as I use the knife more and more. I will attempt to post some photos here but its the first time I have tried so forgive me if it goes wrong!

Attachments

• 20190111_140552.jpg
    20190111_140552.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 20190111_140615.jpg
    20190111_140615.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20190111_140626.jpg
    20190111_140626.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 20190111_140642.jpg
    20190111_140642.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 194
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I remember a thread asking whether a great knife could be obtained "cheaply" from less known artisans, guess this is it :)

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I remember a thread asking whether a great knife could be obtained "cheaply" from less known artisans, guess this is it :)

If you are willing to put up with some very minor F&F issues and don't mind waiting a few weeks for it then it could be. It also remains to be seen how it performs in the long term but I can't foresee any issues to be honest.

Glad you are enjoying that knife. I would like to know what £300(385usd) knife you are comparing to.
As to that Nakiri, does anyone else find the grind strange? I even went to looked on the website and it doesn't look like that either.

Glad you are enjoying that knife. I would like to know what £300(385usd) knife you are comparing to.
As to that Nakiri, does anyone else find the grind strange? I even went to looked on the website and it doesn't look like that either.

Most expensive knife I have is a Miyabi Gyuto which was over £300. Stunning knife but not sure I would pay that much for a knife again. Its more an art piece than a knife I would use everyday!

The grind is certainly hand ground when you look at it. Not perfectly straight but I like that. Has the essence of a very traditionally hand made knife. I will try and get a close up tonight and post it up here tomorrow.

I promised some pics of the grind close up and then forgot.... here you go!
20190114_175221.jpg
20190114_175224.jpg
20190114_175251.jpg

Back