Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by HappyamateurDK, Oct 16, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2019 #1

HappyamateurDK

HappyamateurDK

HappyamateurDK

Hi all.

anyone here familiar with the gyuto knifes of the Sakai Takayuki grand chef line. Or know if the Böhler-Uddelholm AEB-L-steel Is any good? Is it less chippy then vg10 steel?

also.. the Sakai Takayuki brand is pretty much unknown here in Denmark. How is the brand when it comes to quality ?

thanks in advance.

Søren

2. Oct 16, 2019 #2

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

3. Oct 16, 2019 #3

ojisan

ojisan

ojisan

I heard that the steel was N685 if it's not changed recently.

Sakai Takayuki is a well known brand in Japan and sells fine knives. I think they are a brand in the better side at least.

Grand Chef is popular for pros. I often see it compared with Misono UX10/404 and Glestain, sometimes with Sugimoto. I own a Grand Chef suji but don't feel it's chippy at all. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. Oct 16, 2019 #4

MowgFace

MowgFace

MowgFace

Always saw this as a decent gyuto, but passed on it as there wasnt much price difference between this and a Gesshin Ginga.

Thinner, and better F&F. To each his own though.

Mowgs

5. Oct 16, 2019 #5

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

I have some intimate knowledge of a k-tip suji Grand Chef that I've spent a good 5+ hours fixing/thinning/reprofiling. One of the sushi chefs at work bought one from another chef at another restaurant. He uses his knives hard (too hard). He asked me to work on it (bad shape). I did some serious grinding and took out some deep chips then thinned and reprofiled before sharpening and polishing. Came out great. These are good knives and the steel is excellent.

I have the impression that it is AEB-L steel, and I think it's what I saw on a vendor's website. Not sure how legit that info might be. Whatever steel it is, it's tough stuff and it takes an awesome edge that holds very nicely.

6. Oct 16, 2019 #6

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

was the first japanese knife i ever bought, hated it and gave it away. it's a narrow whimpy laser with crap steel and everything sticks to the side of it. spine was nice and rounded however, yet the choil was sharp.

mac pro is a way better knife for same money.

K813zra, Lars, Danzo and 2 others like this.
  7. Oct 17, 2019 #7

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

Never used the gyuto, but the honesuki is exactly what I need it to be - tough and easy to sharpen.

8. Oct 17, 2019 #8

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Have sharpened a few for friends and relatives. Haven't used them myself. My impression, good value, decent knives. Nothing wrong with it.
    But whether it's what you're looking for can't yet be answered.
    Do yourself a favour, Søren, and use the questionnaire.
    https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/
    Perhaps you're left-handed, looking for a steel with a lot of bite, expecting good edge retention on poly boards in a pro setting.
    Even in this price range there are a lot of options.