Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

anyone here familiar with the gyuto knifes of the Sakai Takayuki grand chef line. Or know if the Böhler-Uddelholm AEB-L-steel Is any good? Is it less chippy then vg10 steel?

also.. the Sakai Takayuki brand is pretty much unknown here in Denmark. How is the brand when it comes to quality ?

thanks in advance.

Søren

I heard that the steel was N685 if it's not changed recently.

Sakai Takayuki is a well known brand in Japan and sells fine knives. I think they are a brand in the better side at least.

Grand Chef is popular for pros. I often see it compared with Misono UX10/404 and Glestain, sometimes with Sugimoto. I own a Grand Chef suji but don't feel it's chippy at all. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Always saw this as a decent gyuto, but passed on it as there wasnt much price difference between this and a Gesshin Ginga.

Thinner, and better F&F. To each his own though.

Mowgs

I have some intimate knowledge of a k-tip suji Grand Chef that I've spent a good 5+ hours fixing/thinning/reprofiling. One of the sushi chefs at work bought one from another chef at another restaurant. He uses his knives hard (too hard). He asked me to work on it (bad shape). I did some serious grinding and took out some deep chips then thinned and reprofiled before sharpening and polishing. Came out great. These are good knives and the steel is excellent.

I have the impression that it is AEB-L steel, and I think it's what I saw on a vendor's website. Not sure how legit that info might be. Whatever steel it is, it's tough stuff and it takes an awesome edge that holds very nicely.

Have sharpened a few for friends and relatives. Haven't used them myself. My impression, good value, decent knives. Nothing wrong with it.
But whether it's what you're looking for can't yet be answered.
Do yourself a favour, Søren, and use the questionnaire.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/
Perhaps you're left-handed, looking for a steel with a lot of bite, expecting good edge retention on poly boards in a pro setting.
Even in this price range there are a lot of options.

Back