Sakai Takayuki Kanyata Gyuto: Recommended?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are you looking for from the santoku?

What sort of single-bevel knife are you interested in?

Yeah as blokey said... look up kiritsuke experiences to learn more about people's general experiences using this kind of single bevel, and the main limitations.
Personally I tend to stick to this rule of fist: if you don't know what you need a single bevel for, you don't really need a single bevel. ;)

The series is good if you want single bevels just for fun. You get familiar profiles and a lot of blade height relative to the length and thickness of the knife. That makes for pretty thin geometries with not too much steering. A regular 210 Kiritsuke (not a thing really, they start at 240 mostly) would be both thicker and narrower, especially the Takayuki ones, which are narrower than for example Masamoto. I have personally handled the 240 gyuto and it was well ground and about half as thick as a 240 usuba at the same height.

Thank you all for your responses. The reason I was looking at the santoku is that I have discovered that I prefer push pull rather than rocking. While using my gyuto I find myself wishing for a flatter edge profile. I am looking at single bevel knifes simply because I want to learn how to use one. I realize that they can be challenging, but so is learning to use Japanese knifes at all. Your responses have led me to further searches.

Just out of curiosity, what's your current gyuto? Just so we know what you're comparing from. I think a lot of people here don't necessarily rock-chop with their gyutos, I think most are push/pull cutters.

Thank you all for your responses. The reason I was looking at the santoku is that I have discovered that I prefer push pull rather than rocking. While using my gyuto I find myself wishing for a flatter edge profile. I am looking at single bevel knifes simply because I want to learn how to use one. I realize that they can be challenging, but so is learning to use Japanese knifes at all. Your responses have led me to further searches.
Sounds like Yoshikane and Masashi are right up your alley for Gyuto's.

Single bevels tend to be limited in usefulness outside of the specific cuisine they developed in (i.e. sashimibocho for sashimi/sushi, usuba for kaiseki/shojin ryori, deba for fish butchery, etc.).

Doesn't mean that you can't use them for stuff outside of those cooking styles, but just that the more all-purpose double bevels tend to work better for 99% of peoples' cooking (unless you have a background in sushi or something).

I hereby summon @Dan S. - AKA the guy who stared down a long list of reasons not to buy a single bevel and then did it anyways (which I applaud him for since he knows what he wanted and it seems to be working for him). He probably has a lot of insight to offer here considering that you both like single bevel kiritsuke.

Back