Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto now in stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made a little short video about the handles.
[video=youtube;5daU07NP9yY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5daU07NP9yY[/video]

Can't wait to see the 210. Some of those handles are lovely too. I have one handle made from ringed gidgee and it's an excellent wood.

someone scored this baby today:D
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1424426305.011831.jpg

Had a lot of fun playing with both the standard and kiritsuke-tipped gyutos at the Midwest Knife Gathering yesterday. These things are really well finished and cut better than any Japanese knives at similar price points that I've handled. I'll be placing an order soon.

Thanks for letting us play with these, pkjames!

Had a lot of fun playing with both the standard and kiritsuke-tipped gyutos at the Midwest Knife Gathering yesterday. These things are really well finished and cut better than any Japanese knives at similar price points that I've handled. I'll be placing an order soon.

Thanks for letting us play with these, pkjames!

Thanks for having me onboard the show:hungry:

Whoa whoa whoa! James! 210s now in stock??? please pm me if they are because i have a couple questions regarding comparisons between the 240 and 210. Btw the black and ringed gidgee handles are making me sweat with rage!!!!SO +#&"&'? Sexy!!!!

Whoa whoa whoa! James! 210s now in stock??? please pm me if they are because i have a couple questions regarding comparisons between the 240 and 210. Btw the black and ringed gidgee handles are making me sweat with rage!!!!SO +#&"&'? Sexy!!!!

yup, blade arrived yesterday. i should be able to put something together very soon :) stay tuned!

All of the syousin sakura knives have detailed measurements on James site including weight and spine measurements in three places and grams for finished knives. I am not clear what you mean by "non standard version"

Has anyone compared the Ginsanko to the non standard versions ? I couldn’t find much searching the forums

My impression from James site and Mark's site is that Sakai Takayuki uses the same smith for both the Syousin Sakura(blue and ginsan) and the "high end" Sakai Takayuki dammy ginsanko. They are substantial blades.

The ginsanko is a thicker blade. Sorta like Sakai Takayuki ginsanko line.

Apologies. Perils of typing on an iPhone. I meant Ginsan vs The carbon steel / iron clad Sakura. I hadn’t realised they were slightly different but should have expected variation.

Guess i’ll find out when I receive it what I think.

@Midsummer I’ve only used the ginsanko. But if you refer to the Sakura passaround thread you’ll see that it’s universally considered to be a pretty thin blade. The ginsanko version isn’t at all.

Yes, but the kono blue 1 and 2s were better overall IMO. Much thinner than ginsan though.

I was hoping I didn’t misspoke when I said the ginsanko Sakura was thicker than the blue version.
Ooooohhhhhhh noooooooo. You were spot on. I almost feel James should be more upfront about how thick those ginsans really are.

Received the Ginsanko Sakura Syousin.

It is indeed a monster of a knife ... blade heavy with a hefty ebony handle to match. A beautiful wide-beveled knife and will be interesting to see if I have the skill(s) to sharpen it when I eventually have to.

As it is, it is the sharpest knife I've ever seen out of a box, rivalling the Toyama. Sliced straight through raw protein and tomato with the least effort of any knife I own. I now know what a really, really sharp edge is!

The fit and finish are superb.

I'm still unsure of the balance and weight. It feels more like a slicer than a chopper given the heft. But it is something different to the other gyuto I own.

Back