Sakai Yusuke 210 Wa-Gyuto Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to hear that Yusuke are now accepting custom orders to specially harden blades now. I enquired about this 1-2 years ago but was told the answer would probably be 'no'. Which is what led me to order an Ashi-Hamono Ginga stainless 240 Wa instead, with custom hardening to 61HRC: freaking awesome knife and steel in its own right, but my Yusuke (240 White#2 Wa) wins hands down in every department.
What are the differences seb? Besides of course the steels used.

After talking to Keiichi, he mentioned carrying some swedish stainless yusukes soon with thicker spines. The spines are going to be around 2.8mm for 240mm wa gyutos. Im looking forward to them. Im enjoying my suisin inox gyuto and I certainly wouldnt mind something of a similar steel but with a thinker spine. Ive kind of been looking around for a non laser swedish steel gyuto for a while and theres really not much out there besides misono ux10(which im not paying $300 for!).Just wanted to spread the word.

Is there any other place (besides the place the OP mentioned) we can order these knives from? Are they sold in Canada?

Hey MB,

Just a few knives huh. :) Are you a chef by trade?

Photography tip: Use "single-point AF" (if your camera has it...if DSLR it should) and put the AF "dot" on the handle of a knife or the spine of one of the knives.

BDD, Thanks. I used to live in the kitchen but those days are gone. Love the job, could not get used to the lifestyle. I can still smell the damp cold humid kitchen the morning after hosing it down with lots of kitchen detergents the night before. I'm sure ya'll know that smell. Lovely.

I still push the craft pretty hard though. Lately been experimenting with my Vacuum Tumbler, that sits next to my vacuum chamber next to my polyscience Sous Vide pro next to my curing chamber. I cracked their secretive patented GrowVac formula. Salt, dextrose and Citrix Acid (I use fresh fruit preserver). The tumbler does improve flavor and texture. Awesome for freshening up all sorts of proteins. Can't wait for Mivolds Modernist Cuisine for the Home.

Ironically now i've fallen back in love with a ripe perfectly sliced avocado, drenched in fresh lime and salt. Sometime the best dished don't require a electrical cord or flame. Yusuke is what i grab for this chore.

Just Googled "vacuum tumbler". Interesting idea. Are they all HUGE? The one's I saw look to be all for restaurant/supermarket use. :) Are there any designed for home use?

BDD, Thanks. I used to live in the kitchen but those days are gone. Love the job, could not get used to the lifestyle. I can still smell the damp cold humid kitchen the morning after hosing it down with lots of kitchen detergents the night before. I'm sure ya'll know that smell. Lovely.

I still push the craft pretty hard though. Lately been experimenting with my Vacuum Tumbler, that sits next to my vacuum chamber next to my polyscience Sous Vide pro next to my curing chamber. I cracked their secretive patented GrowVac formula. Salt, dextrose and Citrix Acid (I use fresh fruit preserver). The tumbler does improve flavor and texture. Awesome for freshening up all sorts of proteins. Can't wait for Mivolds Modernist Cuisine for the Home.

Ironically now i've fallen back in love with a ripe perfectly sliced avocado, drenched in fresh lime and salt. Sometime the best dished don't require a electrical cord or flame. Yusuke is what i grab for this chore.

jealous :D

Its not like a traditional marinade (no oil or acids used). we'll citric acid but its a very small amount. So its not like WOW, look marinade all they way through the bone kind of thing. Plus they have a flavor free marinade, that is no spices. the end result is very subtle. The meat doesn't change color like it would in an acid marinade. Be great to know someone else that has the device. I've had mine for less than a year and I would not even think about eating any chix, pork or beef without purifying it in them marinade express now.

Like I said I'm sure I figured out their proprietary GroVac mix. Dextrose, citrix acid and salt. My suggestion is not to go hog-wild buying their marinades. Really not necessary and once you get the hand of the machine, not necessary.

Have you messed with adding phosphates to meat brining? Ever use AmexPhos or FAB flavor enhancers. Very useful meat intervention enhancers.

Phosphates into brining? Nope. To be honest I've never brined my meats before hand. Plan to though for sure. Maybe try Williams-Somoma brine first. Then find brine recipes.

Never thought of adding "enhancers". Actually I've never even heard of "enhancers" till you mentioned it. :) You should write a book on "Enhancing Cooking at Home". :)

As for buying their marinades...probably not. Might try them once. I've rarely found some one else's mix to my liking. Have come across some good BBQ rubs though by Dizzy Pig. And a Louisana hot sauce I sampled at a "Hot & Spicy Festival". Shame i no longer have the name. Was hot and had a tang to it. Why I loved it. This was back in 2006.

Perhaps we should continue the food talk PM. ;) This is a knife forum. :)

Kidd your blowing it! LOL Just remember all fresh foods are dehydrated, unless you killed the animal or pulled the vegetable from the ground.

Vegetable brine: 1 TBLS pickling salt, two liters of water (I use only purified water).
Meat: We'll that goes through the MExpress. Like I said, can run it with or without marinade flavor. I's easy to understand but hard to explain.

See vegetables lose their water to simple evaporation but with meat its different. When an animal's flesh is cut, the cells leak myoglobin. (Thats the juice that those little sponges absorb at the bottom of meats). By adding a brine with phosphates, you cna actually increase the moisture in the meat.

http://store.theingredientstore.com/fabmeatenhancers.aspx

I know it sounds like your creating a Frankenstein in the kitchen but remember, cooking is all about chemistry. These FAB enhancers are just amazing in sausage or any form of BBQ. Brings out a tangy, flavorful (wipe my drooling mouth) brightness the he sausage.

My curing chamber:

fullcuringchamber.jpg

LOL!! And that would be for tonight's din? :)

Thanks for the link for the "enhancers". Will try this setup (w/ tumbler) one day.

"Kid"?? :)

Back