Salmon knife ridge....why?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry's Knives

Reaction score
I saw this deba described as a salmon knife on the tsubaya website. It has a sort of.metal ridge at the top. Does anyone know what the purpose of this is? I can only guess it's for weight at the heel but am open to suggestions....
112443025.jpg

I've never seen one like that. I wonder if it's just a personal preference of the Sakai smith, or there is some science
behind it.

Depending on how deep the ridge is one might think that this deba is lighter and thinner than many others. But as said: it depends

On Watanabe's site he describes his sakekiri (salmon knife) as a "boat knife" - used by fishermen as a work knife. Perhaps it's just part of the aesthetics?

Or from the pic it looks like it could facilitate a pinch grip.

Does anyone know why salmon knives are wider and thinner than normal debas anyway?

I use finesse. Salmon bones a rather easy to zip through.
I always have the tail on my left, don’t flip the fish while I’m removing the spine: heel to tip for the top filet and tip to heel for the bottom. During the 2nd cut (tip to heel, the knife is at such an angle ~40deg that a “ramp” near the spine would be helpful when approaching the anal fin area. There’s a bit of cartilage and bone there that can snag your edge and stop a smooth cut.

maybe it’s a shape feature near the spine to help spread the flesh from bone? I’ve never seen such a knife.

The description of it being a boat knife, makes me think the fishing boats have slots for knives and the bump would help protect the handle? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So people literally use a hammer on the spine to get through tough bone?

This is extremely common with cleavers, both Chinese and Western. I have purchased many vintage ones over the years with significant mallet/hammer damage on the spine. I've also watched the guys behind the fish counters at Asian groceries do it to remove fish heads. I've never seen a deba like that but it wouldn't surprise me.

This is extremely common with cleavers, both Chinese and Western. I have purchased many vintage ones over the years with significant mallet/hammer damage on the spine. I've also watched the guys behind the fish counters at Asian groceries do it to remove fish heads. I've never seen a deba like that but it wouldn't surprise me.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Back