Same gyuto in two different sizes?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it overkill to own the same gyuto in both 210mm and 240mm, assuming you already own the 240 and it is your favorite knife? Asking for a friend. 😉
I gotta check my notes, but I think it's only overkill if you have more than 9 in any particular size. Or maybe 10.

My answer to this question -
1668982072339.jpeg

1668982090693.jpeg

Is it overkill to own the same gyuto in both 210mm and 240mm, assuming you already own the 240 and it is your favorite knife? Asking for a friend. 😉
With Wüsthofs expect them to have the same handle and a slightly different balance. Not so with Japanese makers, where 210 and 240 often have a totally different character. Compare the weight.

Perhaps it is time to check out other blade designs? I'm sure people here could point you to a good yanagiba or honesuki, or perhaps a western-style butchering-knife if such is suited to the cooking you do.

I gotta check my notes, but I think it's only overkill if you have more than 9 in any particular size. Or maybe 10.
What's this "overkill" thing you speak of? Is it a bad thing? So me having over 30 of the same size knife is this "overkill" thing? I know it made my wife mad but I didn't mean to do it. 😕

Last edited:
Back