Sanding buffalo horn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
I have a handle that needs to be sanded. Can I sand the buffalo horn ferule as well? What type and grit of sand paper would you use?
Thanks in advance.

If you have some kind of spinning chuck tool (like a drill) you can put a small buffing wheel in it, white wax.

I don't buff anything, just hand sand and horn starts to look shiny and glass-like after 2-3k grit sandpaper.

Actually because of buffalo I have started becoming friends with a little buffing. If I want to do some grippier finish also, it's useful to make the horn look nicer. 600 grit and buffing (just a little) works well imo.

Going to 2k sandpaper will get you close, after that you may try some of the high grit polishing pads like MicroMesh

You can get buffalo horn really shiny and smooth sanding to super fine grit levels but you won't get it to really pop and shine like a mirror until you buff it with white compound. I like it both ways and sometimes I stop sanding (without buffing) when using blond horn.

Use a buffing pad attached to my small drill press. Some great tips here. Good question too.

You could also rub in the buffing compound by hand if you don't have a wheel. Takes a little longer but it can work. Make sure you sand it to a high enough grit.

I sand the full handle @ 600 grit then rub in tru-oil. Everything is nice and shiny once everything dries. Any reason why I should change things up?

Back