Sanding High soft cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked this up a while back and really like it, but’s it’s time for it to shed. Any suggestions on grits I should use/any finishing that needs to be done? Thanks a bunch! figure I’ll use a mouse sander like I do w/ my wooden boards

Yoshihiro Hi-Soft High Performance Japanese Sashimi Chef's Tool Professional Grade Cutting Board, Large, Peach https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9CASRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XzUtFbSK9XMHM

I'm sanding mine right now (one side only).
Note: I am not done yet, read on.....
I'm using a vacuum assisted hand sander (Festool brand).
First, I lightly mark the entire surface with a colored pencil....lines about 3 inches apart. Then I sand these off. This is a furniture finisher's trick, insuring no areas are missed. I only do this once, at the beginning.
1st pass is 180 grit.
2nd pass is 240 grit.
3rd is 400 grit.

That's where I am now.
Now, the "Hi-soft" is probably the softest of the "rubber" (PVA) boards, so the surface is still a tiny bit "fuzzy".
I might switch to hand-sanding using 600 or 800 grit wet/dry, using water, to see if the tiny fuzz goes away.

Has anyone had luck with sanding their board here? Interested in how to get rid of the “fuzziness” if I attempt sanding mine

Has anyone had luck with sanding their board here? Interested in how to get rid of the “fuzziness” if I attempt sanding mine
Finishing with finer grit and maybe less pressure (and using water), as @Leifer described, is what one would assume would help - I don't think how to refinish rubber cutting boards is a highly studied field. :)

If anyone has studied it in depth, it would likely be the manufacturer.

At some point you would probably have to give up and call it good enough.

I use wet & dry sandpaper with sanding block, maybe 120 grit & finish with 400 grit.

Back