Sandrin knife - Latest Kickstarter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blade material sounds interesting. The design and blade flexibility are questionable though. Sharpening is probably not that big of a deal when using diamonds since the blade is very thin. I wonder how tungsten carbide compare to some of the extremely hard and wear resistant steels such as rex121 or maxamet, these are usually hardened to 67-68 HRC, so not as hard, but might be tougher. Anyway, I like any innovation or potential innovation in knife industry.

Doesn't look like a Nakiri to me, and the handle is just plain plasticky ugly. Also won't work with your magnetic knife holder.

And who knows how sharp it is OOTB or how it sharpens. I'm not buying that it will stay sharp for years. I'll pass, but it will be interesting to see how much traction they get.

Update: Just watched the video, and the grape cutting is impressive but it doesn't seem very sharp cutting the tomato or push cutting paper.

Last edited:
That's santoku and not a nakiri. And what a horrible, dead flat edge profile. That's a recipe for digging in at the tip, the reason nakiris have a curve at the front corner, and sontokus have a slight rise towards the tip. Try rock-chopping with that thing and you're just going to be slamming it down on the board. This is design-by-art-director and not by a chef.

I guess you could sharpen it on diamond stones, but it doesn't sound like fun. I don't believe this would have massively better edge retention either. Even tungsten will micro-chip and deform if the edge is thin enough to be useful as a kitchen knife.

Definitely not designed by anyone who actually uses knives, the material is interesting though. They celebrate how flexible it is, but does anyone actually like flexible knives of this type? I get that they are trying to imply that because it is flexible it is not brittle, but that is not exactly true.

You can sharpen TC with SC, SC wheels are typically used here for shaping/sharpening TC metal-working bits. It's considerably tougher than ceramic, I believe will hold a dull 45deg edge just fine. Absolutely nothing new here in terms of technology, you can actually spay-coat TC, or braze/weld it on with with no need of HT'ing after. F'n junk for kitchen knife outside of those who never sharpen their knives.

I backed this project a couple of days ago, but I don't like it's shape or style at all. It looks like a knife from a dollar store. I'm just curious about its material. HRC 70+ with flexibility sounds incredible and can be a ceramic knife killer.

Their knife seems to actually out perform conventional steel knives.

Edge retention on this thing will be amazing. There is every chance that, with domestic use, it will not ever need sharpening. Lots of the same disadvantages as the Kyocera ceramic knives: too light for many people, and quite brittle (despite the claims to the contrary).

What really sucks on this knife is the dead-flat profile though. This won't be very useable. From the video, it looks like the blade is quite short, too, maybe 150 mm?

Interestingly there is no mention to its blade length or weight on the campaign page (I didn't care of those when I backed the project because I was pretty sure that I wouldn't use it as my go to knife).

I guess it's flat just because it's easy to produce? Their TCK folding knife is also flat and very cheaper than their other conventional profile knives.

A good point is that you can use this knife as a sharpening steel. It's better than my Kyocera in a sense.

A straight edge profile, looks thick behind the edge, and fugly. Three strikes, so geddouddaherebuddy

Ok, just received my Nakiri, cut some carrots with it, and now it's in my not-used box.

It's basically a plate with small bevels. No taper at all, like knives sold at dollar stores .

A good point is the material feels better than ceramics as it's heavier and shows some flexibility. No idea about edge durability yet.

The worst point was they said MSRP would be $220 and early bird backers would get 42% off discount. However they started selling the same knife at their store for $159.

Ok, just received my Nakiri, cut some carrots with it, and now it's in my not-used box.
Sorry to hear that :( I can't say I'm surprised though, the knife didn't look very usable to me, judging from just the photo.

Back