Santoku for a lefty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
hi-
is there such a thing as a santoku for a lefty in the $100 range? clad or stainless would be preferred. i searched the forum for lefty threads but could notfind any?i'm leaning towards recommending a Hiromoto AS but if there are lefty specific knives out there, i'd appreciate recos from left handed folks

I don't think that I have ever seen a "handed" santoku.

Most santoku's are double beveled and probably in the range of 50/50. There may be some that are 60/40 on a slight right hand bias, but not enough to make it noticable. Anything in that range would be relatively easy to turn. Unless you are thinking an Usuba I would not worry about it.

Just dont get a D shaped handle since most are handed for rightys

Just send Koki/JCK an email and ask him about a lefty Hiromoto AS Santoku. He says on the site that all models are available left handed. That was not the case when I bought a righty 270 gyuto a few years back and the grind is very righty oriented and in no way possible to really adjust for a lefty.

thanks everyone. i know this is an odd request, but i'll refer my co-worker to Koki

Did you handle one? Gyutos, sujis and even the petties in the Hiromoto AS line are asymmetrically ground..... why should the Santokus be the exception?

I thought the Masahiro santoku I had was asymmetrically ground and I'm absolutely certain the edge was ground asymmetrically.

My first J-knife (and I didn't even know at the time what that phrase meant) was a Santoku branded Spyderco. It was made from MBS-26, so I think it was made by Masahiro. That most definitely had a right-hand asymetrical edge. So maybe it's just Masahiro? Only santoku I've ever handled.

Back