sausage making

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyken

Reaction score
I'd like to chat or rather ask how I can go about learning how to make sausages, and, resources to read etc. I think this is a great skill, and, one I'd like to develop, especially since my job is coming to and end and this could be a way to make ends meet (or literally, put food on the table).

and share recipes too.

As my consumption is rather low and I don't have a meat grinder, I've resorted to buying hand-made sausages from deli, but those are really costly in the long run - I can only afford one or two links each time. The Johnsonville type sausages are about $7-8.50 a 5linkpack, but it seems overly minced.

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing
by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman

This book is great. Explains everything very well. Making your own sausages can be inexpensive. But it will require some equipment to get started.

This book is great. Explains everything very well. Making your own sausages can be inexpensive. But it will require some equipment to get started.

thank you.

anyone have online links for resource? I don't have spare cash to buy books now, so like to use online resources as much as possible. thank you.

If you pm me your address, I'd be happy to send you a used copy of the book above.

On a side note, the one my family used growing up is below. We used their breakfast and italian sausage recipes when making our venison sausage. Very fond memories of those sausages.
Rytek Kutas: Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing : 4th Edition (Hardcover - Revised Ed.); 2007 Edition

Lastly, and you may have done this, but check out your local library. I checked Austin public library, and while they are all in use, they do have copies of Ruhlmans book. They also have a couple Ebooks (but not the sausage one). An idea if it works where you are.

Scott Rea has several videos on sausage-making - I'd start with this one:

Back