Sawing a huge natural in half?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceconvoy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is a really dumb idea, but I still want to do it 😛

I have a huge Tsushima that I love, and I'd like to mount it to a base for better longevity. But it's already twice the height of my other stones, and adding a base will just make it taller and heavier. If I could split it in half somehow, I wouldn't have to deal with the subtle yet irksome change in hand positioning, and I'd get a second backup stone for drop/crack insurance. How dumb would it be to saw it in half with a hand saw? I don't mind if it takes forever and destroys a few blades in the process, as long as it doesn't ruin the stone. Has anyone ever done this?

I've sliced a 7 x 1.5 coticule away from it's BBW base by hand holding a carbide grit jig saw blade. It took a few hours and I used just that one blade. I wouldn't do it again because I have better means now. This was a two part glued coticule and I was cutting just below the glue line, so I don't know how your type of stone would react.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in an apartment so the wet saws won't work for me unfortunately. I'll try the carbide hacksaw with plenty of patience.

Just find a local shop doing some stone cutting. Heck, I found a building site having a tool and was a pretty easy job, no more than 30 seconds. Will take you quite a long time to cut it (and that's not a hard stone you want to split) and to surface it (because doing it straight is a challenge as well).

Just find a local shop doing some stone cutting. Heck, I found a building site having a tool and was a pretty easy job, no more than 30 seconds. Will take you quite a long time to cut it (and that's not a hard stone you want to split) and to surface it (because doing it straight is a challenge as well).
Dunno about that... Given my experience with getting cuts done by other people, I'm hesitant to let someone else do it. And I'd prefer not to interact with other people right now. I was planning to make a jig to keep the cut straight - basically two wooden boxes that I'll cut between. I've got time on my hands at the moment, and I'm the only person I trust to achieve the precision I want.

Here in Houston we have the Houston Gem and Mineral society.. They have a complete gem lab, with all of the diamond saws, etc., etc..
You could see if that kind of group is available for you in your area. Here, I just go over and cut what I want and finish with their lapping equipment.
I belong, and the annual membership is very reasonable.

I’ve done this several times free hand with a 12 inch hacksaw fitted with a diamond coated rod saw blade. I find it nearly impossible to cut a straight line with large stones but it does the trick. Cut dry save some stone powder.
B41B0C73-7B12-4D13-8331-25264D7E7CD8.jpeg

Dunno about that... Given my experience with getting cuts done by other people, I'm hesitant to let someone else do it. And I'd prefer not to interact with other people right now. I was planning to make a jig to keep the cut straight - basically two wooden boxes that I'll cut between. I've got time on my hands at the moment, and I'm the only person I trust to achieve the precision I want.

I understand. These days are very problematic, to say the least.
But nothing will be as precise as a machine made for precise cutting. Not to mention the convenience of everything. I would still consider this.

Back