Saya as a "sidecar"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
Why didn't I think of this. My nakiri in either an edge protector or saya has been perched unsteadily on top of or behind my knife block (no slots large enough for it) for months.

20200715_231225.jpg

This guy used some cheap, self stick plastic tool hanging hooks to hold saya on the side of his block. Can draw and put back nakiri as is normally done from a knife block, or pull the whole saya out, pin knife in it and take it elsewhere.

I'm bloody well going to steal his idea! Thanks, unknown New Yorker, that's a good hack.

Last edited:
Magnet tape works too--and is even uglier :D Obviously not for the good knives, but I put tape on either side of a knife block for the cleaver on one side and nakiri on the other.

Magnet tape works too--and is even uglier :D Obviously not for the good knives, but I put tape on either side of a knife block for the cleaver on one side and nakiri on the other.

From what others have said, any chance of magnetizing a knife is best avoided?

I will never forget the day a girl cleaning the kitchen floor at a place I cooked knocked the restaurant owner's 10" Henckel chef knife off a magnetic wall rack and it fell tip down onto her foot like a lawn dart. It went through her shoe, slid between the bones of her foot and went on through the sole of her shoe, pinning her foot to the rubber mat behind the prep table where she stood, we had to unstick her to take her to the ER. Never wanted a magnet rack since that experience.

From what others have said, any chance of magnetizing a knife is best avoided?

I will never forget the day a girl cleaning the kitchen floor at a place I cooked knocked the restaurant owner's 10" Henckel chef knife off a magnetic wall rack and it fell tip down onto her foot like a lawn dart. It went through her shoe, slid between the bones of her foot and went on through the sole of her shoe, pinning her foot to the rubber mat behind the prep table where she stood, we had to unstick her to take her to the ER. Never wanted a magnet rack since that experience.
Whoah!
After seeing that, I wouldn't even put magnets on the fridge..

cheap, self stick plastic tool hanging hooks to hold saya on the side of his block

If it's looks you're concerned about, I could forge out some custom hooks for ya. I can even forge aluminium if you're worried about rusting....;) (they won't be as cheap as the plastic, however)

This sidecar idea was the reason that I made a saya, as my knife wouldn't fit in the block. But I never got around to mounting the saya until I saw this thread. Thanks for the kick in the pants.
View attachment 87590
Now I'm thinking about modular sayas that link together to form whatever custom knife block configuration one wants...

Now I'm thinking about modular sayas that link together to form whatever custom knife block configuration one wants...
Yes, I,ve been thinking along those lines also. I think that spacer blocks would be necessary to separate the knives a bit. I haven't come with a 'That's it!' design yet though. One rejected idea was a plexy box full of dry beans with all the sayas stuck in it.

Yes, I,ve been thinking along those lines also. I think that spacer blocks would be necessary to separate the knives a bit. I haven't come with a 'That's it!' design yet though. One rejected idea was a plexy box full of dry beans with all the sayas stuck in it.

If you rotate every other saya&knife ~30-45degree, you probably don't need offsets between them. Would also look pretty cool -- like a greek phalanx of knife handles.

I use cardboard impregnated with hard drives magnets and glued to the side of the block. Looks bad, but when the knife is attached only the knife is seen.

Back