School me on wagyu

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by sudsy9977, Mar 6, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 12, 2019 #31

gstriftos

gstriftos

gstriftos

2. Mar 13, 2019 #32

Cashn

Cashn

Cashn

When I do I will but it may be a bit, was gunna save these for when I have some friends over to share. FWIW I’ve only ever eaten this stuff once raw as sushi. I dont think my opinion should hold much weight as I really don’t have but two bites to compare it to. Which is the main reason I actually ordered them. Can’t imagine I would have much to criticize tho hehe.

3. Mar 13, 2019 #33

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

Theory is great and all but you have to eat it.
    I've eaten it at several restaurants. Even had different varieties to compare. I am by no means a expert but in my experience generally its super fatty, ultra fatty, completely mouth coating, and comes out of your pores when you have larger portions. I actually stopped getting it because its just too much (for me). I prefer a nice dry aged filet, which can be just utter perfection.

btbyrd likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2019 #34

changy915

changy915

changy915

I usually get 350g for my girlfriend and myself, anything more it's too much. Even then I would have rice and pickles to cut through the fat.

5. Apr 11, 2019 #35

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

Over rated. Tastes amazing, but it's not good eating, and way over priced.

6. Apr 11, 2019 #36

Tanalasta

Tanalasta

Tanalasta

Wagyu is a breed of animal. Just as Angus is a breed. It does not by itself imply a certain quality other than what public perception and marketing have you believe. I’m Australia, Macdonalds have Angus and Wagyu burgers!

However, what people eat at restaurants - Wagyu comes in several grades. The grading system depends on which system is used. JGMA rate up to 5. Australia rates differently up to 9
    https://www.wagyu.org.au/marbling/

How the marbling is achieved is a bit of a trade secret. I don’tknow what they feed the cows, how much activity they do or whether they are fed a life of women, beer and massage.

For a fillet, a mid grade is often what is served. Trust me, you don’t want to eat more than 100g of the highest grade ... it’d be like eating lard. How it’s prepare also makes a difference, from raw to melt in your mouth medium to medium rare where the fat has been beautifully rendered. There a delicate, almost sweet yet savoury complexity.

In Australia, our local butcher sells grade 9 for about 300ish dollars a kg.

For a beefy beef , I’d pick one of our aged, grass fed Angus ribeyes any day of the week.

7. Apr 12, 2019 #37

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

I’m with panda mostly, but we’ve been getting in American Wagyu Picanha that is just gorgeous. Picanha is sirloin cap (culotte), so it’s tightly grained, super intensely beefy, AND this has some intramuscular fat that makes it awesome. D’Artagnan has it, and while I’m not bonkers about all their stuff, I love this.

8. Apr 12, 2019 #38

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

Founding Member

Good to know. I’ve heard a lot about picanha lately and was wondering about it

9. Apr 16, 2019 #39

changy915

changy915

changy915

Sounds delicious. What's the best way to cook them? Skewer into a C and slow over coal?

10. Apr 16, 2019 #40

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

fimbulvetr

I just keep pan-searing it in cast iron. Your way would sure work great, but I’m too lazy to get out my grill.

11. Apr 16, 2019 #41

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

I can barely justify purchasing grass finished beef in the States. Authentic Japanese Wagyu is not worth the hit to my wallet. I'm better of buying a bulk of oysters from the local fish monger.

12. Apr 16, 2019 #42

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

First Rolex watches, then Tesla car keys and now Wagyu beef. I am starting to understand why the poor hate the rich.

13. May 14, 2019 #43

Jlc88

Jlc88

Jlc88

Ha!

14. May 15, 2019 #44

wilburh

wilburh

wilburh

All said and done, the reason you can't eat a bunch of wagyu compares to the fat you leave on the plate when eating a "normal" steak. You're looking at the hype rather than the meat! Certainly, if you paid 100 bucks for a frozen steak you would like for it to be good...but as mentioned...you can't eat but a couple of bites because you're eating fat. It's not special - it's fat. Nobody wants to pay that much for a steak and then say it wasn't good. Folks will say that a couple of bites is all they could eat...but it was good!! Go figure....