Scooping/Scraping with your Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone who uses the edge to scrape/scoop on synthetic boards worry about adding any plastic shavings/grit to your dish?
But I had a guy at the last place who would scoop the food up on the knife and then bang the knife edge first into the lip of a metal hotel pan to knock the food off.
Oy! That made my backside pucker....

I got no problems with scraping or scooping. If your bevel can't handle it then your bevel isn't tough enough for general food production in my opinion. But I had a guy at the last place who would scoop the food up on the knife and then bang the knife edge first into the lip of a metal hotel pan to knock the food off. It was never any problem with the soft stainless 80 grit belt ground 45 degree inclusive edges he was used to. Not so great for my near zero edges with nano micro bevels. He knew it too and felt bad but it was too hard of a habit to break. I would be doing prep or punching orders in the office and then hear a clang and the dude saying, "Oops, sorry buddy." Only cook I ever hid my knives from.
Well said, agree wholeheartedly. For me, I just don’t see the point of having an extra, single purpose tool for scraping, taking up space in my tiny kitchen. I care for my knives, but don’t baby them—all my j-knives are quite robust.

Does anyone who uses the edge to scrape/scoop on synthetic boards worry about adding any plastic shavings/grit to your dish?

Oy! That made my backside pucker....

This is the main reason I despise those rubber things that servers use to grip the bread while they slice it and the serrated knives servers use to slice and many servers in general. Inevitably, customers complain about plastic shavings, rubber shavings, and server flesh in the bread baskets.

I have never noticed this from scooping or scraping.

Back