Scooping/Scraping with your Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I don't think it dulls the edge as much as it is said, and if it does it only gives me an excuse to sharpen.
There's probably a bit of variability for how well-coordinated each person expects themselves to be, and how many excuses for sharpening they'd like to have. In both cases, it partly depends on the amount of practice.

I sometimes use my knife to scoop, but that's mostly when my board scraper isn't handy for whatever reason.

99.9% of the time I use a board scraper. Efficiency rocks!

There's probably a bit of variability for how well-coordinated each person expects themselves to be, and how many excuses for sharpening they'd like to have. In both cases, it partly depends on the amount of practice.

Practice of what? Coordination? Sharpening?

The dangers of scooping and scraping are mostly a matter of technique IMO. Maybe scraping is an exception... even saying the word "scrape" sounds abrasive. But I scoop and move product around on the board with the blade, though I use very light pressure and use wood and soft synthetic boards. I cringe when I see/hear people abuse their edges to do this in cooking videos, but I think the dangers of responsible scooping are overstated. One of the glories of Chinese cleavers and taller gyutos (like Takedas) is that you have a built in bench scooper (if not scraper).

If you’re not slicing each piece into Durer’s solid, you’re missing out

You guys have a distinct lack of ambition.

The real skill with the knife is to start with cubes, then to cut a sphere out of the centre of each cube. And to keep all the cube-shaped "frames" intact.

No one learned the Fruit Ninja method? Works exceptionally well when used over whatever container or pan you want your ingredients in. No need for cleaning a cutting board much less fretting over what type to use either. And no nails on chalkboard scraping.

As previously stated, the kitchen knife is a tool and should be treated as such. I you cringe at the thought of using it to scrape up minced or diced produce leave the kitchen for a moment, go sit on your plastic covered couch, and consider alternatives to your OCD condition -- like trusting your decent or better knife skills. However, I do find those inexpensive stainless bench scrapers extremely useful when doing a lot of prep.

As previously stated, the kitchen knife is a tool and should be treated as such. I you cringe at the thought of using it to scrape up minced or diced produce leave the kitchen for a moment, go sit on your plastic covered couch, and consider alternatives to your OCD condition -- like trusting your decent or better knife skills. However, I do find those inexpensive stainless bench scrapers extremely useful when doing a lot of prep.
For me, to many times of lending a knife out, hearing that scraping, getting said knife back and looking at the edge and exclaiming "Aye pendejo!" And/or "No mames!"

I also have learned from it. Now only German knives get lent out.

Last edited:

It’s not that I think my knife is a precious gem that should live on the wall, it’s that I know that certain secondary uses for a knife aren’t good for the edge and make it so that I have to sharpen more often to keep the super keen edge I prefer, which is a waste of steel... It takes a quarter of a second to flip it over and scrape with the spine.

I do scoop with the edge, though.

Last edited:
If I'm transferring food, I do use the blade, but I push the food onto the blade, rather than pushing the blade under the food. When I get round to getting a cleaver, I'll probably use that for transferring, as I can't carry much on a Gyuto or Nakiri.

As previously stated, the kitchen knife is a tool and should be treated as such.
When I use your knife to cut open cans and get tires off their rims, I'm sure you won't mind - it's a tool after all. ;)

"It's a tool" only counts when the tool is being used as intended. I guess the scooping is an "edge case" (ha) where there isn't 100% agreement over whether it's an intended use for a knife.

I sometimes use my knife to scoop, but that's mostly when my board scraper isn't handy for whatever reason.

99.9% of the time I use a board scraper. Efficiency rocks!
I recently snagged one of these for home. I’m converted.
27D94637-2863-4553-AB40-2345D6A1B514.jpeg

Actually I do deliberately leave the spine 'sharp' on boning knives and my honesuki to scrape bones with. Haven't yet gone as far as to actually sharpen it, but I'm definitly not easing or rounding it.

Here's what I use. The upper one is made from a fish (scallops, actually) box; just cut to fit with an exacto knife and a straight edge.) I use it at home.
The bottom is an 'Ateco' bench knife/board scrapper bought from Amazon for 2 bucks. I use it all day at work.
Both worth their weight in gold, IMHO.

20210119_185156.jpg

I got no problems with scraping or scooping. If your bevel can't handle it then your bevel isn't tough enough for general food production in my opinion. But I had a guy at the last place who would scoop the food up on the knife and then bang the knife edge first into the lip of a metal hotel pan to knock the food off. It was never any problem with the soft stainless 80 grit belt ground 45 degree inclusive edges he was used to. Not so great for my near zero edges with nano micro bevels. He knew it too and felt bad but it was too hard of a habit to break. I would be doing prep or punching orders in the office and then hear a clang and the dude saying, "Oops, sorry buddy." Only cook I ever hid my knives from.

Back