Screwed up the handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seffers93

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question. I screwed up a handle on this santoku I'm making. It's all sorts of uneven. Just wondering.. would the best way to get the scales off be to heat the epoxy? Or should I just take a chisel to it? Would heating the handle ruin the heat treat?

Thanks in advance.

- Seth

The consensus here seems to be that heating it up to 200F is generally just fine, although some people are more cautious and do 180 or something. Most tempering is done at 300+ F.

And yes, depending on the epoxy heat can soften it and make it easier to remove.

That said, all my knowledge here is theoretical. There have been many threads about this, though, and they all say essentially what’s above, so probably you can go ahead and bake it in a low oven, or even boil the handle.

Edit: ah yes, I missed that you made the entire knife, so presumably you know what you tempered at, unless it’s from a heat treated blank.

You can heat the blade below the temperature you tempered to without any issue.

I spent a while trying to remove an epoxy-ed handle the other day, and found for mine that boiling was what worked. (I didn't use a plastic bag, just held it by the blade in a rolling kettle.)

Back