Search for the optimum fish breaking/filleting knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We fish out of Virginia. I've been soaking up some of Josh's YT videos. I just put his books on my Amazon wish list too. I'll have to look up the others. Thanks

Last edited:
So, I am confused after this thread. Are you using a deba to filet fish or to section fish. To me a fish filet is fish without skin or bones.
I don't eat fish skin so I skin all my fish. Do you skin a fish with a deba?

Do you skin a fish with a deba?
You can skin fish with a deba. A deba can be used for all steps of fish processing from the moment it comes out of the water to the plate. However, unless the dish absolutely needs the skin off I will leave it on. It helps keep things together when cooking and the fat layer under the skin holds a good amount of flavor.

You can skin fish with a deba. A deba can be used for all steps of fish processing from the moment it comes out of the water to the plate. However, unless the dish absolutely needs the skin off I will leave it on. It helps keep things together when cooking and the fat layer under the skin holds a good amount of flavor.

When it comes to skinning fish, I would think a flexible filet knife would be better at least from my prospective. I have tried to skin fish with a stiff knife, and I find it harder. I try to skin in one knife stroke.

I would agree that a deba is not ideal for removing skin, I have done it but way easer with a fillet knife. I don’t skin all my fish, like salmon and some other mid-swimming fish, but cod for example have parasites under the skin and by the back bone same with halibut and many other species of ground fish. Of coarse some would say that adds to the flavor as well but not for me and god help me if my wife saw a worm in her fish. The other issue for me is some fish, the striped bass for example has a blood let that runs down the length of the fish just under the skin that needs to or should be removed because it holds the toxins the fish carries and it also makes the fish taste nasty and bleeding the fish out does not remove the blood let.

I would agree that a deba is not ideal for removing skin, I have done it but way easer with a fillet knife. I don’t skin all my fish, like salmon and some other mid-swimming fish, but cod for example have parasites under the skin and by the back bone same with halibut and many other species of ground fish. Of coarse some would say that adds to the flavor as well but not for me and god help me if my wife saw a worm in her fish. The other issue for me is some fish, the striped bass for example has a blood let that runs down the length of the fish just under the skin that needs to or should be removed because it holds the toxins the fish carries and it also makes the fish taste nasty and bleeding the fish out does not remove the blood let.

Even when I skin salmon I cut off the dark blood meat off and feed it to the cats. Northerns or Pike I have skinned them, but I get a local to cut the center Y bone out as I don't trust myself. I have only fished maybe a dozen times or so up North.

What I have seen skinning a fish with a stiff knife is it cuts through the skin unless you are really careful or do it slowly a little bit at a time. The flexible filet knife tends to do a better job so you can skin the fish in 1 stroke.

What I have seen skinning a fish with a stiff knife is it cuts through the skin unless you are really careful or do it slowly a little bit at a time
It's important to have a refined edge when skinning with a deba or yanagiba. The more refined the edge is the easier it will glide along the skin without cutting through. If your edge is toothy, it will cut through the skin.

Interesting thoughts on skinning a fish. I bought one of those Kanehide fillet knives. The knife is (guessing) about a 90-10 grind. I keep it as sharp as I can, but the only thing that I use it for is skinning the fish. It’s somewhat flexible but not like a fillet knife.

In my experience, pretty much everybody on this topic is right. I *can* remove skin with just about whatever is on hand, including deba. But in general long and slender is easier.

One trend I've seen lately is with all the people who don't eat the dark part of the salmon meat close to the skin and bloodline like @coxhaus. A lot of fish butchers will use a long and inflexible blade like a yanagiba or a hard suji and remove the skin at an angle. The skin closer to the edge of the fish will be removed as cleanly as possible and the skin near the center will be removed along with the brown flesh. This leaves a nice clean looking cut with no brown and no need to trim further.

I can't emphasize enough how taking the fat off a salmon is a culinary crime. What's next, cutting crusts off steak? Grating the crispy parts off fries?

Nothing better than salmon belly, and that’s one of the reasons I steak out my salmon, you get all the best flavors in one piece of meat.

I’ve also noticed from my own experience and from all the videos that seem to be floating around that skinning a fish with a stiff knife works if you fish is cut in strips or smaller fish. I my experience any fish of size needs that flexibility in a knife to remove skin.

Nothing better than salmon belly, and that’s one of the reasons I steak out my salmon, you get all the best flavors in one piece of meat.

I’ve also noticed from my own experience and from all the videos that seem to be floating around that skinning a fish with a stiff knife works if you fish is cut in strips or smaller fish. I my experience any fish of size needs that flexibility in a knife to remove skin.
I can skin a 10 kg salmon with a stiff yanagi no problem. Same with hamachi, mekajiki, amadai, etc.

I mean, if a flexible filet knife is what works for you then use it. Nobody’s saying that stiff is better or that you have to switch, but I think we should avoid saying things like “any fish of size needs that flexibility” so as to avoid spreading misconceptions.

I can skin a 10 kg salmon with a stiff yanagi no problem. Same with hamachi, mekajiki, amadai, etc.

I mean, if a flexible filet knife is what works for you then use it. Nobody’s saying that stiff is better or that you have to switch, but I think we should avoid saying things like “any fish of size needs that flexibility” so as to avoid spreading misconceptions.

Now here again don’t be so grouchy this just my opinion on what I’ve experienced you obviously think your gods gift to skinning a fish so what ever you say must be gospel to you but not to me and many others here, so why you feel the need to insult like you did on one of my other post shows your to lack of debate on any matter you do not agree with. So I would say show us your massive god given talent or shut up!!

Ok show me you skinning a 22lb or larger Chinook salmon with any kind of speed. I’m not saying it can’t be done but come on we both know a flexible knife will fly through it with little to no waist!

Ok show me you skinning a 22lb or larger Chinook salmon with any kind of speed. I’m not saying it can’t be done but come on we both know a flexible knife will fly through it with little to no waist!

I guess I should have finished the last sentence with Efficiency because I guess you could spend a day removing skin from a large fish with a pairing knife if you want

This can only be done in kilograms so no way. Look, if you’ve ever watched on YouTube how this works you wouldn’t make this argument. There are different methods for different fish for different cuisines/ryooris. Some people find a nice (and long) stiff knife works best. Others like flexi western styles. Not saying your way is wrong. I personally have never gotten good results from flex blades or bubba blades or electric serrated knives. I grew up on the TX gulf coast where these are the standard.

Now here again don’t be so grouchy this just my opinion on what I’ve experienced you obviously think your gods gift to skinning a fish so what ever you say must be gospel to you but not to me and many others here, so why you feel the need to insult like you did on one of my other post shows your to lack of debate on any matter you do not agree with. So I would say show us your massive god given talent or shut up!!
I apologized for being a jerk to cpalm because I legitimately insulted him. But here I just disagreed with you so I’m not sure why you’re so affronted.

You stated that “any size of fish needs flexibility” as a fact. I’m just saying that it’s not a fact and that we shouldn’t treat it as such, so as not to put misleading info out there. I disagreed with you; I didn’t insult you. I’m fact, I earlier agreed with you that flex is easier for most people. I’m just saying that it’s not the only way.

This can only be done in kilograms so no way. Look, if you’ve ever watched on YouTube how this works you wouldn’t make this argument. There are different methods for different fish for different cuisines/ryooris. Some people find a nice (and long) stiff knife works best. Others like flexi western styles. Not saying your way is wrong. I personally have never gotten good results from flex blades or bubba blades or electric serrated knives. I grew up on the TX gulf coast where these are the standard.
Ya I need to apologize I’ve been drinking a bit, to each there own. I guess I just get a little agitated at some of the passive aggressive reply’s I get instead of the “ I disagree” i get (Whaaaaaaaat?) clearly you can skin a fish with whatever works best for you.

Ya I need to apologize I’ve been drinking a bit, to each there own. I guess I just get a little agitated at some of the passive aggressive reply’s I get instead of the “ I disagree” i get (Whaaaaaaaat?) clearly you can skin a fish with whatever works best for you.
That was meeeee!
The other day when I was being a total jerk I had been drinking but was too embarrassed to write it! 🤣

I apologized for being a jerk to cpalm because I legitimately insulted him. But here I just disagreed with you so I’m not sure why you’re so affronted.

You stated that “any size of fish needs flexibility” as a fact. I’m just saying that it’s not a fact and that we shouldn’t treat it as such, so as not to put misleading info out there. I disagreed with you; I didn’t insult you. I’m fact, I earlier agreed with you that flex is easier for most people. I’m just saying that it’s not the only way.
That was meeeee!
The other day when I was being a total jerk I had been drinking but was too embarrassed to write it! 🤣
Ya it’s all good, we all have are days, today just happens to be mine. Sorry for me being the jerk today!!

I didn't say flexible knives don't work. Cálmate.
@M1k3 said big stiff gyuto.
Giggity.

Ok, based on some of the recommendations here. I’m thinking about purchasing this:

Hatsukokoro Single Bevel White #2 Deba 195mm​

For those of you in support of the deba, what are your thoughts on this one? Thanks

Back