Seasoning flat-bottomed wok on electric range?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got this flat-bottomed wok from Wok Shop in SF, still haven't tried seasoning it yet because it seems like doing it on an electric range is a bit of a challenge and I don't want to mess it up. I've found various youtube videos on the subject but really have no way of knowing which is the "right" way to go. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, care to share how?

WOK-PNG.png

In college I had a really cheap electric stove, which I recall could never get very hot. If your range doesn't get hot enough, you can put it in the oven. Coat super thin with oil, and wipe it like you're trying to get rid of it. Bake it upside down and leave in the oven to cool. Repeat as many times as you like.

I just realized you have wood handles. I'm not sure how they fare in the oven, but maybe wrapping with foil can protect the handles?

In college I had a really cheap electric stove, which I recall could never get very hot. If your range doesn't get hot enough, you can put it in the oven. Coat super thin with oil, and wipe it like you're trying to get rid of it. Bake it upside down and leave in the oven to cool. Repeat as many times as you like.

I just realized you have wood handles. I'm not sure how they fare in the oven, but maybe wrapping with foil can protect the handles?

Yeah the wood handles are a concern I think for doing it in the oven. The main wood handle screws off but the side handle is permanently affixed. Maybe I'll end up with a seasoned wok and a nice "roasted" wood handle 🤣

My thought would be the oven but I’m not sure if the wood handles can be removed? I have an electric glass top stove in my condo but use a 15k btu iwatani 35-fw butane burner indoors for my (round bottom) wok, or else the outdoor wok burner.

My thought would be the oven but I’m not sure if the wood handles can be removed? I have an electric glass top stove in my condo but use a 15k btu iwatani 35-fw butane burner indoors for my (round bottom) wok, or else the outdoor wok burner.

Yeah I can remove the main handle but unfortunately the sidehandle is permanently affixed. So I think oven is not gonna work. Stuck with trying to crank the burner I guess.

I seasoned my wok (which like yours, has one non-removable wooden handle) in the oven a number of years ago. It worked OK, and darkened but did not destroy the handle. But stovetop is better, anyway. I moved from oven season to stovetop seasoning for all my cast iron (and the wok) because it seems to work better, and it is quicker and easier anyway. Just put the thinnest layer of oil you can on the wok. I use grapeseed oil, but soybean oil or canola should be fine, too. By thin, I mean like a couple of drops of oil which you then smear around with a paper towel or cloth, and then attempt to remove with a fresh towel or cloth. Heat it up until it is smoking. Keep the heat on for 30 seconds or a minute. Then cover (to keep the smoke down), let it cool a bit, and repeat. It can be a smoky operation, so really the limit is how much smoke you can dissipate (or tolerate).

my friend used an electric stove with a propane torch assist. looked like a PIA, but he got it done.

if i lived closer, i would run it over my wok burner for you...

hey, why not take it to your favorite chinese restaurant and ask them to do it for you?. my stepdad did a few customer woks in the past. he did my brother's i think. couldnt hurt (to ask)..maybe buy some food that they cook in your wok!

I seasoned my wok (which like yours, has one non-removable wooden handle) in the oven a number of years ago. It worked OK, and darkened but did not destroy the handle. But stovetop is better, anyway. I moved from oven season to stovetop seasoning for all my cast iron (and the wok) because it seems to work better, and it is quicker and easier anyway. Just put the thinnest layer of oil you can on the wok. I use grapeseed oil, but soybean oil or canola should be fine, too. By thin, I mean like a couple of drops of oil which you then smear around with a paper towel or cloth, and then attempt to remove with a fresh towel or cloth. Heat it up until it is smoking. Keep the heat on for 30 seconds or a minute. Then cover (to keep the smoke down), let it cool a bit, and repeat. It can be a smoky operation, so really the limit is how much smoke you can dissipate (or tolerate).

Sounds like a good road map, thanks!

my friend used an electric stove with a propane torch assist. looked like a PIA, but he got it done.

if i lived closer, i would run it over my wok burner for you...

hey, why not take it to your favorite chinese restaurant and ask them to do it for you?. my stepdad did a few customer woks in the past. he did my brother's i think. couldnt hurt (to ask)..maybe buy some food that they cook in your wok!

Hah thanks for the kind offer. I'm moving to southern Oregon this summer so is that close enough?? 🤣

I love the idea of taking it to a local chinese restaurant but I don't want to get anyone in trouble during covid. Still, doesn't hurt to ask!

southern OR?

NICE!!
yessir! Wife finally finished up medical residency and accepted a job in Coos Bay. The area is so beautiful . . . lots of bushcrafting to be had :dancingchicken:

Not 100% sure what i'm going to be doing yet, but honestly I'm burnt out from the rat race and may take up to a year off. Start growing vegetables, taking a lot of online cooking classes . . . I just really need to decompress man, this last year has been crazy.

It probably comes with a factory coating of wax or something similar to prevent rust so definitely scrub that off in hot soapy water before you season. There's tons of different ways to season carbon steel, they are all probably fine. Some people recommend cooking potato skins (e.g. ). We've used that in the past and been happy with it.

It probably comes with a factory coating of wax or something similar to prevent rust so definitely scrub that off in hot soapy water before you season. There's tons of different ways to season carbon steel, they are all probably fine. Some people recommend cooking potato skins (e.g. ). We've used that in the past and been happy with it.

Just to clarify, I would treat a carbon steel wok the same way I'd treat a carbon steel fry pan

After washing off the coating, stir-fry some chives until well-browned, touching them to every part of the wok. If you don't have chives, use the green parts of scallions.

I've been giving this tip to people for years, and I don't know whether anyone has tried it, but it works. It came from The Wok Shop in San Francisco.

The trouble with woks on a coil stove are the sides.

Sorry if already answered but do you have a grill or even a little Hibatchi? They can work very well here.

People do put the wood handles in the oven. They wrapped the handle in a wet towel and then wrap a few layers of foil over that. I've never done but I think it is fairly common.

I have a coil stove and for carbon I do not screw with flack seed, grape seed, etc. I've tried them and for various reasons dismissed each of them and just stick with good ole canola. My wife recently bought me some wax that is a combo of bees wax, canola, and coconut oils. Just barely used it so too soon to say how it is.

If you want to try it purely on the stove top, I'd flip it over atop a very hot burner to get some heat up the sides. Still, mind your handles. Maybe just oil the sides here and see how the smoke pattern looks. The bottom won't be a big deal but don't put it on the same hot burner. You want to avoid warping.

Get at least a half decent season on it and then start cooking with it! Use more a little more oil early on to help with sticking, keep it hot, and just cook with it. It'll develop over time.

I wrapped the assist handle with a lot of soaking wet paper towels and then wrapped that in tin foil, then put my wok in the oven to season it

IMG_20200111_183057.jpg

On a 3rd round I accidentally got some grapseed oil on the assist handle and it actually came out nice, like the jki burnt handles, but I'm not going to try to replicate it

I'm really not a fan of that potatoskin method... the end result looks like total crap and it basically completely neglects the sides, which leads to stickage there. Especially on a wok I don't think that'd be ideal.
You can always just try doing thin layers on the stove... worst case scenario you gotta scrub it off again. Just make sure to heat it up gently to avoid warpage - just to be on the safe side. My guess is you'll struggle to get the sides done properly, but who knows. Using someone elses gas stove seems the safest bet to me.

With some woks scrubbing with soap/water won’t work, they are lacquered and literally the only way to remove it is by burning.

I bought some stainless steel scrubbies so hopefully that'll be enough in combo with some bar keepers friend?

I’m not familiar with the particular wok you got, but I know with my yamada wok there was a very durable lacquer coating on the wok and metal handle. Without seriously scratching the wok I’m not sure it could be done just by scrubbing. You can “burn” the lacquer easily enough and make it turn from dark-grey to black, but then you really have to try to burn off the black residue and make it bright grey (basically clean metal). I used an iwatani 35fw butane stove for my 36cm wok and it took 2 full butane canisters.

if you’re able to, I’d recommend getting a portable butane stove (iwatani 35fw if you can) and it’ll make wok cooking more fun. I keep one in my kitchen and has been handy when the power goes out too, have another I use for outdoors or when travelling to the cabin.

Just tossing this up as a rule of fist, but if you don't own a stove that can properly burn in a wok, it's debatable whether you should get one in the first place.

I’m not familiar with the particular wok you got, but I know with my yamada wok there was a very durable lacquer coating on the wok and metal handle. Without seriously scratching the wok I’m not sure it could be done just by scrubbing. You can “burn” the lacquer easily enough and make it turn from dark-grey to black, but then you really have to try to burn off the black residue and make it bright grey (basically clean metal). I used an iwatani 35fw butane stove for my 36cm wok and it took 2 full butane canisters.

if you’re able to, I’d recommend getting a portable butane stove (iwatani 35fw if you can) and it’ll make wok cooking more fun. I keep one in my kitchen and has been handy when the power goes out too, have another I use for outdoors or when travelling to the cabin.

I'm moving in about five months, see if I can end up in a place with a gas range first. If not... looks like one of these portable butane stoves might be the way to go.

Well I just cranked one of the electric burners on the stove top and followed a video by Grace Young, taking some tidbits from some other sources I found -- including all y'alls advice! Seems to have worked but I'll probably do an additional seasoning in the oven tomorrow, both to add to the patina on the interior cooking surface and to make sure I've got a protective layer all over the wok.

1. The pre-seasoning shot again for reference

1-Wok-Original.png

2. Initial temper

This is after the initial temper on the stove top. Had to move the wok around to get the sides, probably wasn't as even as gas but it seemed to work okay judging by the color.

2-Wok-After-temper.png

3. In go the aromatics

3-Wok-Aromatics.png

4. Continuing to stir fry

4-Wok-Aromatics-2.png

5. One of the sources I found said to keep going until the onions/scallions were basically black. 🤷‍♂️

5-Wok-Aromatics-3.png

6. Final color after first seasoning. Looks seasoned?

6-Wok-Aromatics-4.png

7. Egg test! The egg caught a little bit at the beginning but actually slid around pretty well after I loosened it. I know the seasoning will continue to develop and the second round in the oven tomorrow will help kickstart that process.

So, experiment successful: you can indeed season a wok on an electric stove.

Last edited:
That’s the spirit.
I did the same thing. Just got it going and started cooking. There were a couple of disasters, but nothing I couldn’t clean off.
I did a couple of deep fry things at the beginning as well.

Back