Second knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seffers93

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just finished my second knife! 1084, 180mm Santoku. Figured I’d try something a littler smaller this time. Still LOTS to learn but I’m happy with this finished result for knife #2. It would’ve been done sooner but the handle you’re currently seeing is the THIRD handle attempt lol. I had such bad luck with this handle!

Just like my first knife, I jumped the gun and started taking pictures before putting it on the stones, so the pictures you are seeing are before sharpening.

Next up is a 10” Kramer style chefs knife. And after that, I’m going to start attempting Wa handles!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

- Seth

Attachments

• 3EE3DE3E-F91B-43E5-9250-5BA85C68277A.jpeg
    3EE3DE3E-F91B-43E5-9250-5BA85C68277A.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 45
  • FF28E907-AA9B-4AC1-A7EB-4086D74C5830.jpeg
    FF28E907-AA9B-4AC1-A7EB-4086D74C5830.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 44
Looks great Seth! I think the handle came out marvelously. Very attractive figuring in the grain. The grind is perhaps a bit thick behind the edge, but sometimes choil shots are deceiving. How did your first knife feel to use?

Looks great Seth! I think the handle came out marvelously. Very attractive figuring in the grain. The grind is perhaps a bit thick behind the edge, but sometimes choil shots are deceiving. How did your first knife feel to use?

Thank you!!
I was surprised using the the first knife. It was also pretty thick behind the edge. I thinned it out a little but not much. It performs really well! Although the tip is much higher than what I’m used to.. got a nasty cut from it lol. And it’s still sharp after a few days on the board so that’s a good sign of proper heat treat I think?

As long as you are happy with the performance, then the grind is perfect. I would say it is a good sign that the edge hasn't dulled after a few days. It must be an awesome feeling to use a blade that you made from scratch!

As long as you are happy with the performance, then the grind is perfect. I would say it is a good sign that the edge hasn't dulled after a few days. It must be an awesome feeling to use a blade that you made from scratch!

It’s such an awesome feeling!! I still can’t believe I made a knife lol. Well worth the hard work!

Looking lovely, nice work :)

And if you can make yo handles like that then wa handles should be a doddle!

Latest posts

Back