Second rehandle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is number 2. This time around I used spalted maple, with red spacers and stainless pins. Using a colored spacer with lighter wood really show the imperfections and gaps when mounting. But the black lines from the wood blend it okay. Pretty satisfied with the result, it is not perfect though, some low spots that are hardly noticeable.

Masahiro VC 240

I also have a aritsugu petty in the works. Then two birthday knives to rehandle

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
That looks great!

BTW, I think you're nuts using stainless pins and spalted wood together.

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How come? The stainless pins I mean?

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
How come? The stainless pins I mean?

Stainless pins are tough to grind down and get flush with wood. Spalted wood wants to fly away like dust in the wind. Put these two together and it's a challenge. You seemed to do well with this though. :)

merlijny2k

Reaction score
Getting stainless pin flush with wood never gave me any trouble. Any 3 dollar file will do it just fine. The real *** in my experience is getting the pins polished and shiny without the wood getting all grey with metal dust I can't wash out for the life of me. Don't see any noticeable dust stains with you so you managed quite impressively

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks yall. My biggest issue with this project is the left side between the 2nd and 3rd pin. All the black lines I can feel with my fingernail.

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stainless pins are tough to grind down and get flush with wood. Spalted wood wants to fly away like dust in the wind. Put these two together and it's a challenge. You seemed to do well with this though. :)
Dave, I know what you mean. That was happening to me when I was grinding away with the handle perpendicular with the sander. Problem was solved just fine when grinding up and down with the sander.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Apart from what looks like a great finish, I like the choice of materials a lot :) Reminds me that I have that western Dragon Misono hidden somewhere under my T-shirts and pants and waiting for a new handle :)

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ripped off the design from those miyabi birch wood series