Second rehandle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is number 2. This time around I used spalted maple, with red spacers and stainless pins. Using a colored spacer with lighter wood really show the imperfections and gaps when mounting. But the black lines from the wood blend it okay. Pretty satisfied with the result, it is not perfect though, some low spots that are hardly noticeable.

Masahiro VC 240
2s9x9p3.jpg

2e36gyt.jpg

1zwzy3r.jpg

I also have a aritsugu petty in the works. Then two birthday knives to rehandle

That looks great!

BTW, I think you're nuts using stainless pins and spalted wood together.

How come? The stainless pins I mean?

Stainless pins are tough to grind down and get flush with wood. Spalted wood wants to fly away like dust in the wind. Put these two together and it's a challenge. You seemed to do well with this though. :)

Getting stainless pin flush with wood never gave me any trouble. Any 3 dollar file will do it just fine. The real *** in my experience is getting the pins polished and shiny without the wood getting all grey with metal dust I can't wash out for the life of me. Don't see any noticeable dust stains with you so you managed quite impressively

Stainless pins are tough to grind down and get flush with wood. Spalted wood wants to fly away like dust in the wind. Put these two together and it's a challenge. You seemed to do well with this though. :)

Dave, I know what you mean. That was happening to me when I was grinding away with the handle perpendicular with the sander. Problem was solved just fine when grinding up and down with the sander.

Very nice! Apart from what looks like a great finish, I like the choice of materials a lot :) Reminds me that I have that western Dragon Misono hidden somewhere under my T-shirts and pants and waiting for a new handle :)

Back