Secondary Chef Knife reco

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vk2109

Reaction score
Hello,
My only chef knife is the Takamura 210mm and I am looking for a secondary chef knives i could use for
(a) non-delicate tasks (instead of using my sujihiki) , (2) hand out to guest/family/friend coming over and (3) more western shape as already have JP one.
I narrowed down a few items wanted to see you your views:
-Miyabi Evolution 200mm (on sale for $100)
-Tojiro DP 180mm
- Wusthof Classic ikon 200mm (amazon FR has it for ~$100)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef knife
Are you right or left handed? Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180-200mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? ~$100

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? All above except filleting fish (have Deba) and breaking down poultry bones

What knife, if any, are you replacing? purpose secondary knife.
i could use for (1) non-delicate tasks (instead of using my sujihiki) , (2) hand out to guest/family/friend coming over and (3) more western shape as already have JP one.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip on my Takamur
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? No damascus.
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? looking for tougher knife. stainless steel.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Hinoki and Rubber
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) already knows
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) already have 320/800/3000/5000 grit whetstones.

How "(a) non-delicate tasks (instead of using my sujihiki) , (2) hand out to guest/family/friend coming over and (3) more western shape as already have JP one." are you looking for? Something like a Victorinox/Wusthof/Zwilling/Messermeister would fit.

I assume by 'more western shape' you're talking about the handle and not the profile? Since for example a Tojiro DP has a very different profile from a Wüsthof... which is why I'm not the biggest fan of the latter, especially in the shorter sizes (they flatten out a bit as they get longer). If you insist on getting a Wüsthof it is worth digging around a bit though as lately there've been a lot of deals. They're sort of rebranding with a new logo, so all the older models are going out on the cheap.

If you just want to be done cheap on this and don't really mind the looks, something like Victorinox is always an option. If you want something fancier I'd personally give some thought to a Fujiwara FKM. Fujiwara Kanefusa FKM Series Gyuto (150mm to 300mm, 6 sizes)

Also, just slightly over budget (at least buying it from Korin) is the Suisin. Suisin Inox Gyuto
Haven't used one myself but it got some love around these parts in the pasts for a good solid starter knife.

Personally I think having a pakkawood handle is significantly nicer than the POM or plastic handles you'll find on most cheaper western knives, and I prefer the gyuto profiles over the football profiles you get in a lot of 20cm western knives these days. No one needs that much belly to rock chop...
I think its also fair to say that if you're looking at 20cm western knives you should give consideration to a 210 gyuto.

So, what do you guys think of the MAC PRO knives? I don't seem to see much love around here.

The way I sharpen I can't sharpen 70/30 knife.

Thank you all for your responses.
How "(a) non-delicate tasks (instead of using my sujihiki) , (2) hand out to guest/family/friend coming over and (3) more western shape as already have JP one." are you looking for? Something like a Victorinox/Wusthof/Zwilling/Messermeister would fit.
I used a Takamura R2 as primary, but as delicate and super sharp, specially for people coming over my place, i prefer to handout something sharp and tough in these hands...also for me time to time if if need to cut out tough things, i can use it rather than serrated/sujihiki

By "180-200mm", do you mean specifically to rule out 210mm's?

What do you think of these?
https://www.korin.com/HTO-MOGY-210
https://www.korin.com/HTO-INGY-210
https://www.**************.com/kovgtsgy21.html (or its 180mm version, https://www.**************.com/kovgtsgy18.html)
Thanks i will check them at Korin

I assume by 'more western shape' you're talking about the handle and not the profile? Since for example a Tojiro DP has a very different profile from a Wüsthof... which is why I'm not the biggest fan of the latter, especially in the shorter sizes (they flatten out a bit as they get longer). If you insist on getting a Wüsthof it is worth digging around a bit though as lately there've been a lot of deals. They're sort of rebranding with a new logo, so all the older models are going out on the cheap.
No one needs that much belly to rock chop...
I think its also fair to say that if you're looking at 20cm western knives you should give consideration to a 210 gyuto.
Actually western style and handle. I picked as option the 180 tojiro as smaller and the shape looks closer to western style. I don't really need to consider a 210 gyuto as already have a 210 R2 tamukura i use on a daily basis :)

Hard to go wrong with a Tojiro DP, IMO. A random choice for one of my first ‘good’ knives and that worked out well.
Great thanks for the feedback. are they tough ? and also easy to sharpen ?

Vadim

From what I've seen the people with a professional background are generally positive about MAC. The main issue I see (and why I haven't tried them myself) is that they play in a slightly higher price category than these, and at that point you start competiting with a lot of other really nice knives.
They certainly fit seem to fit the bill of 'more abuse-proof' though.

I’m kind of a hack at sharpening so I may not be the best to answer that.

Tojiro probably won’t be quite as tough as a Wustoff, but it has been durable for me. More so than some other similar knives.

Great thanks for the feedback. are they tough ? and also easy to sharpen ?

Vadim

From what I've seen the people with a professional background are generally positive about MAC. The main issue I see (and why I haven't tried them myself) is that they play in a slightly higher price category than these, and at that point you start competiting with a lot of other really nice knives.
They certainly fit seem to fit the bill of 'more abuse-proof' though.

I bought a used MAC PRO 8-inch off eBay for less than $70 actually it was $50.88 plus shipping and tax. It is dull with 1 small chip. I want to try and sharpen it to make sure I can maintain it. If I don't like It hope I can sell it for what I paid.

Last edited:
For this, any of the typical, softer starter type knives work great. For me that's a Fuji Narihira, QC has been bad lately, so I'd just get a Fujiwara FKM or Suisin Inox from Korin.

You're describing a K-Sab. Robust, rocker (though flatter than Germans, quality knife that will last forever.

(A Mac Pro would be a good choice as well)

Hello,
My only chef knife is the Takamura 210mm and I am looking for a secondary chef knives i could use for
(a) non-delicate tasks (instead of using my sujihiki) , (2) hand out to guest/family/friend coming over and (3) more western shape as already have JP one.
I narrowed down a few items wanted to see you your views:
-Miyabi Evolution 200mm (on sale for $100)
-Tojiro DP 180mm
- Wusthof Classic ikon 200mm (amazon FR has it for ~$100)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef knife
Are you right or left handed? Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180-200mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? ~$100

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? All above except filleting fish (have Deba) and breaking down poultry bones

What knife, if any, are you replacing? purpose secondary knife.
i could use for (1) non-delicate tasks (instead of using my sujihiki) , (2) hand out to guest/family/friend coming over and (3) more western shape as already have JP one.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip on my Takamur
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? No damascus.
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? looking for tougher knife. stainless steel.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Hinoki and Rubber
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) already knows
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) already have 320/800/3000/5000 grit whetstones.

Geez, if I'm buying a knife that'll be used by "...guest/family/friend," I'd prob go as cheap as possible, maybe a step above knives at TJ Max. IMO, 'guest knives' don't need to be screaming sharp, just sharp enough—unless knife savvy, some guests art intimidated be overly sharp knives.

Cheap knives I'd buy to be used solely by guests: Mac Superior series; Mercer; ...even the $12 Kai Pure Komachi chefs knives aren't bad, so cheap their disposable, cooked with them many times when I were a guest.

IMO, they gotta be cheap enough—under $100 for chef's knife—that it won't make you cringe if they get destroyed.

Back