Main plate Seven Layer Supper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks .... fine dining this is not! But if you want to feed a family of six for less than ten bucks this recipe is for you. It’s thoroughly family tested and approved by my 9 year old grand-son and others. Universally loved around my house.

40E25F11-D1E2-4025-A440-C1A122E3D21A.jpeg

Here’s a few pics of yesterday’s creation.

79602FA5-7797-4987-9FDE-4EE9ABF00C72.jpeg
65C4C9D6-5AD5-4FF6-A283-0150D9416D56.jpeg
25BBC883-D3DD-47CF-B00B-E6E070E3E514.jpeg
6F0A158A-09C4-4065-B1FD-D9A026F738BF.jpeg
C9660C45-C7F1-4CB0-B4D1-A9B35B59C95A.jpeg

Like most casseroles the great part is that they are refrigerator “emptiers “. No two dishes are made the same. The basics are the potatoes, onion and carrots. I generally use a russet potato, sweet onion and sweet carrot as the base. The rice is great and next time I’m going to try brown rice rather than jasmine. I prefer frozen peas to canned. The tomato soup is a must and makes the dish nice and gooey so the kids overlook the vegetables. For meat I used three weenies on their “best before” date ... do weenies actually have a “best before” date ... and three left over breakfast sausages. I added a bit of sliced garlic and mushrooms ... both of which were to be “binned” if not used by Monday. For the “piece-de-resistance” I topped the dish at he 90 minute mark with shredded Monterey Jack and habenero cheese with a generous topping of the last half of a bag of crushed Kettle Brand New York Cheddar potato chips. Want a vegetarian dish? Leave off the meat layer. Want a vegan dish? Leave off the cheese as well. It’s still a family pleasing dish.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a superb-looking meal! Often, simple "thrown-together" dishes such as this turn out to be truly fantastic.

Thanks for writing this up, I'll give that try soon!

tchan001

Reaction score
I made it today. Was pretty easy to prepare for my first time. I added some mushroom. For meat I diced some leftover peking duck along with beef sausages. Finally I sprinkled some beef bone broth powder after the tomato soup. Was delicious. Thanks for the basic recipe.

The finished preparation before baking. Forgot to take a picture of the baked finish product as the family was too hungry.
20200702_183424.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome ... as it turns out I made it up yesterday as well. Like you say it lends itself to adding/changing layers. My version yesterday added a layer of sweet potato, a layer of ground bacon ends made up by my favourite butcher, and a topping of left over breakfast sausage. I cooked it in a 350F oven for an hour and added a topping of Tex-Mex grated cheese and a healthy topping of New York Cheddar potato chips. It appeared a bit dry so I added about a half cup of extra spicy Clamato juice (I was drinking Chelada’s at the time)! Another 30 minutes and the family couldn’t wait to tear into it. Best 7-Layer supper yet ... except now I guess it was 14-Layer Supper. Oh yes ... a guest for dinner didn’t like peas for some reason so I substituted chopped asparagus stems for the peas.

copacetic

Reaction score
I couldn't get a photo as it got demolished very quickly, but a great way to use veggies up! Added a little celery, and a top layer of thinly sliced courgette covered with grilled cheddar cheese. 180C for 90 mins. I'll be making it again 👍