Sexual Harassment in the Kitchen/Restaurant world

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chef Doom I'd vote for you any day. Anything to stop an over sensitive, PC, safe space dwelling nutjob from holding office.

P.S. Matt Damon is 110% correct in his assessment of this witchhunt oops i mean social movement

Now before all the SJWs jump down my throat let me say the following;
I've only been witness to a single event in my life which I would categorize as real sexual harassment (off coloured and distasteful jokes are not sexual assault nor sexual harassment, as some ladies would try and tell you), this was in grade 6 when the female visual arts teacher took off her clothes in class in front of all the other children and asked us "do I look pretty"

Apparantly firing a unionized public school teacher is next to impossible.

So please, spare me the all men are controlling monsters garbage.

While I think the pendulum may have swung far, I keep hoping that Bobby Flay gets outed. He's a douche and treats wimins like crap.

While I think the pendulum may have swung far, I keep hoping that Bobby Flay gets outed. He's a douche and treats wimins like crap.

NOOOO!!! Not the Throwdown Meister himself!? Say it aint so Bobby! Say it aint SO!

and, AND in the past you knew that if you even dared to accuse a superior it was career suicide. So yea, sometimes you kept quiet if you wanted to be able to pay the rent.

It wasn't in the restaurant business, but I remember the exact point in time when I killed my career. I had a boss who was putting together a pitch for funding and was in competition with another group in our division. He told me to go flutter my eyelashes, sweet-talk, "do whatever you need to do" to find out what the competitor was proposing so he (my boss) could undermine him. Not only belittling, but unethical as heck. The mistake I made was going to the personnel dept for advice on how to handle the situation--they told me "your boss gave you a direct order--follow it" and I was blackballed. (And yes, Wildboar, it was in an engineering department, so it happens there, too.)

Is treating people like crap the same thing as sexually harassing them?

Per the EOC:

"It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.

Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex.

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer."

It wasn't in the restaurant business, but I remember the exact point in time when I killed my career. I had a boss who was putting together a pitch for funding and was in competition with another group in our division. He told me to go flutter my eyelashes, sweet-talk, "do whatever you need to do" to find out what the competitor was proposing so he (my boss) could undermine him. Not only belittling, but unethical as heck. The mistake I made was going to the personnel dept for advice on how to handle the situation--they told me "your boss gave you a direct order--follow it" and I was blackballed. (And yes, Wildboar, it was in an engineering department, so it happens there, too.)
No question what you boss asked you to do was wrong. And it would have been wrong as well if he asked a man to go find info so he could undermine the other team. That type of 'boss' is murder to companies. And I am truly sorry about how your HR department responded.

My company places some physical demands on our engineers. It includes things like climbing ladders while carrying up tool bags, taking test cuts in building systems using hand tools, and riding swing stages on 10-20 story buildings. We have not had many women engineers on our staff, but the ones we have had learned and performed these duties just as well as the guys. We do not have much of a hierarchy either, so no real way for an employee to convince another they can help them advance -- or get their careers stalled -- based on certain favors, or through intimidation. I guess that is one of the benefits in having a small company; the scenarios that lead to harassment and/ or sexual harassment are not really present.

In fact, the only sexual misconduct/ harassment we have ever had there was a frisky admin woman who apparently did not have many boundaries in her marriage, and would overtly chase after one of the single men. It was mutually agreed that she needed to seek employment elsewhere. That was 20 years ago, when guys typically would not speak up about being harassed.

Acting like adults historically has been a useless endeavor. That is why laws and religion was created in the first.

Some truth in that. Laws have to work look at Singapore, clean city, low crime, multinational population living together. It gets a bad rap, but who are we to judge. National Geographic listed it as one of the places where people are happiest. When I visited it reminded me of Hawaii, Same trees, many nationalities. With a large population in a small area they could care less if you can't chew gum. Stepping, sitting on, accidental touching some ones discarded gum is no fun.

There are many great things about Hawaii, we do have per capa the worst homeless population. Quite a few are Crystal Meth addicts or Alcoholics. Some are mentally ill. Meth is the leading cause of property crime here. Also have plenty Lawyer ads on TV in the sue em blame game.

Is treating people like crap the same thing as sexually harassing them?
If a man wishes to treat a woman like crap in the workplace he will need to find non sexual points of reference to do so which will be challenging. You could try

"I could get a zombie to do your job and get better results!"

Some truth in that. Laws have to work look at Singapore, clean city, low crime, multinational population living together. It gets a bad rap, but who are we to judge. National Geographic listed it as one of the places where people are happiest. When I visited it reminded me of Hawaii, Same trees, many nationalities. With a large population in a small area they could care less if you can't chew gum. Stepping, sitting on, accidental touching some ones discarded gum is no fun.

There are many great things about Hawaii, we do have per capa the worst homeless population. Quite a few are Crystal Meth addicts or Alcoholics. Some are mentally ill. Meth is the leading cause of property crime here. Also have plenty Lawyer ads on TV in the sue em blame game.
Funny thing is in America if you banned chewing gum people would claim you were taking away their rights, there would be science opinion articles warning of the coming bad breath apocalypse, and National Chewing Gum Day would become a thing.

Don't worry, you are one good tsunami and typhoon away from having your homeless and meth problem solved. Yes many taxpayers will suffer but egg free omelettes just don't taste as good.

I don’t really follow TV cooking shows anymore but he was the judge for top chef. Colicchio is a very good chef IMO, I enjoyed a few of his books. BTW I’m not really on board with everything he has to say but felt like sharing it anyway.
His cameo in treme was fantastic. Everybody with HBO access should check it out.

So no more dick jokes, don't you dare think about anyone besides how beautiful their mind, soul and personality are, and back of house should be as clean, quiet, and austere as tea time in the drawing room in the Victorian era. Cmon just get serious back of house, grow up, as long as the food is good that will be an awesome and empowering environment for everyone. Very enlightening and pragmatic perspective.

Don't like the guy much as a TV personality but he has an interesting point of view. Not sure what to call it. ColicchioVision?

Back