• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Shapton glass & ceramics whetstones, barely used

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Been trying to get good at sharpening on whetstones for a while and just never got the hang of it. Deciding to get an easier system like the worksharp.

Stones have barely been used. Trying to sell as a lot all at once.

In order in the picture:

Shapton #220 Glass Sharpening Stone HR (this one will need a flatten as I tried too hard on one side)

Shapton #500 Glass Sharpening Stone HR (used maybe 5 times)

Shapton #1000 ceramic orange stone (this one was used the most, maybe 20 times. still perfect shape with the logo still there)

Shapton #3000 Glass Sharpening Stone HR (used maybe 3 or 4 times)

Call it $120 plus $15 shipping for all 4 stones?

Attachments

• 20230513_230101.jpg
    20230513_230101.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_225813.jpg
    20230513_225813.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_225846.jpg
    20230513_225846.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Ahhhh no 1k on glass :( i already have the orange

please keep these and keep trying to sharpen. idk what you're missing, but if i had to guess it would be deburring. you're so close...
nah i just cant get it. I spent forever watching every youtube video on the subject, calling knife sharpening shops for advice, etc. Still can't. I can get it sharp enough to cleanly cut paper but nothing more than that. I want hair splitting sharp

Your first (and very common) mistake. Watching too many videos. Too much contradiction. Too much bad advice. (Esp if any rhymed with Dick -y.)

Limit yourself to one or two that resonate with you - the oft suggested series from Jon at JKI is how I got knives that were sharper when I finished than when I started. Don't expect to be the "Mozart" of knife sharpeners - you're gonna need some bleeding fingertips along the way. But it is achievable for anyone.

Apologize for the segue, you have some well chosen stones and very well priced. GLWS if that's the route you're going.

nah i just cant get it. I spent forever watching every youtube video on the subject, calling knife sharpening shops for advice, etc. Still can't. I can get it sharp enough to cleanly cut paper but nothing more than that. I want hair splitting sharp
Ok. What knife have you been trying to sharpen?

I've been sharpening a little while now, and started doing it professionally for a few restaurants.

I still can't get any of the stainless zwillings, and most beaters that sharp. Some knives just won't take an edge like that. I didn't realize I was sharpening well until finally sharpening my first japanese knife, and enso sg2 by yaxell. I've given it away since, because I didn't like it, but the difference was night and day, with very little effort.

If you've been trying to sharpen garbage knives, the knife might be the problem.

I've been sharpening a little while now, and started doing it professionally for a few restaurants.

I still can't get any of the stainless zwillings, and most beaters that sharp. Some knives just won't take an edge like that. I didn't realize I was sharpening well until finally sharpening my first japanese knife, and enso sg2 by yaxell. I've given it away since, because I didn't like it, but the difference was night and day, with very little effort.

If you've been trying to sharpen garbage knives, the knife might be the problem.
i watched Jon's series.
i also watched Vince from Korin's videos.

can't get it any better than cutting paper cleanly.

nope i have sg2 knives as well.

Yeah that doesn't answer the question. What knives, specifically, have you been trying to sharpen? What steel?

If you're doing that with a victorinox or a mercer, you're doing well.
takamura, miyabi sg2

Not going to try to talk you out of selling these if you're not getting the results you want, but - if you can get SG2 to cleanly cutting copy paper you're honestly doing fine IMO. I doubt I got much past that in my first year or two of messing around with freehand sharpening, at least not with any consistency. Getting to HHT level whatever or effortlessly passing through paper towel is fun but not necessary to have a very good, usable edge for actual kitchen tasks. Just my two cents.

I’ve PM’d in hopes of getting these, that said, if you’re frustrated with sg2, and that’s your reason for folding, I wouldn’t. I have a REALLY hard time with that and some 52100. They’re not always fun and can be WILDLY frustrating. I also have a hard time being consistent with angles, but I’ve been getting better with that every sharpening. Sharpening is a process, both long and short term, and if it’s something you want to be better at, I’d encourage you to persevere. That’s said, GLWS

If you want hair whittling sharp I highly suggest a nice Japanese carbon steel, and the cheapest way is a kamisori on ebay. @Illyria has a bunch of mine, and a jnat, and he can send one over. I have a razor jnat I could probably lend you, too, if you want that stuff.

I, for the life of me, cannot get my ryusen SG2 to whittle or catch hair off stones, unless I use diamond or chromium oxide after. If you can set a bevel and get knives to cut paper, the you definitely have the basic motions down. To get hair catching or hair whittling, a finer stone, a fine carbon steel, and less pressure and stroke speed would be what have worked for me. There's only been one knife steel that was hair whittling off a 1K and that was a nagahiro for me. Though I actually got a zakuri to do it one time too. I think @captaincaed had a thread on trying to get hair whittling sharp from a lower grit stone.

Otherwise, good luck with sale, it's a solid set of stones that I would personally use as well.

I second all the previous comments - great stone set for a killer price, definitely a deal for anyone starting out.

And I also didn’t get much beyond copy paper sharp for my first year, Getting a knife in Blue Super was what helped me jump to the next level. Seriously try a simple steel like white or blue - you get results soooo much quicker, it gives a huge morale boost and also lets you know you’re on the right track. I still can’t reliably get literally hair-splitting sharp (HHT 3+), but sharpening is a journey, not a destination. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

Back