Shapton glass VS pro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glass, pro or etc for medium grit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adam92

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just wondering what kind of stone you've use & preferred.

I have atoma 400/1200# grit, superior to cut steel and flatting. However, i don't like the feel, Anyone have experience with Shapton glass?

FYI I have the 220 and 2k pro, 500 and 4k Glass.
How's the tactile feelings between sp220 & sg 500?
aggressive stone? hard stone? cutting speed ?

How's the tactile feelings between sp220 & sg 500?
aggressive stone? hard stone? cutting speed ?

Doh! I meant I have the 120 Pro. Tactile feel is pretty similar. The 120 is way coarser and you can feel it though. Obviously cuts way faster. All of them are hard stones. But if I had to order them by dishing speed/muddiness, I'd probably say the 500 is the muddiest, followed by the 120 Pro, and tie between 2k Pro and 4k Glass. But none are really muddy. The 120 needs some surface refreshing occasionally.

I like the 500 Glass and 2k Pro the most, in use. Just barely.

Doh! I meant I have the 120 Pro. Tactile feel is pretty similar. The 120 is way coarser and you can feel it though. Obviously cuts way faster. All of them are hard stones. But if I had to order them by dishing speed/muddiness, I'd probably say the 500 is the muddiest, followed by the 120 Pro, and tie between 2k Pro and 4k Glass. But none are really muddy. The 120 needs some surface refreshing occasionally.

I like the 500 Glass and 2k Pro the most, in use. Just barely.
Thanks so much bro, very useful feedback for me, appreciate it.

This is my recent test between the two.

"Today I had to sharpen one Aritsugu AUS10 gyuto and decided to do some back and forth with Shapton Pro 2k and Glass 2k.
The stones feel similar, but with a few differences after all, that should be consider only with this knife.
G2 loaded a bit. Nothing to hinder performance, but not able to clean the surface only with water and my hand. P2 cleaned just fine.
G2 was faster. Did this several times and every time got a burr faster on either side.
G2 didn't feel as smooth, but polished a tad more. The finish was brighter.
Grit wise they should be the same.
Maybe, just maybe, the G2 edge got a bit better. Didn't cut that much after either, though. Might be just a feeling.
Every time I finished with edge leading barely touching the stone."

I have/had almost all of them.

Right now, as a mid coarse stone, I prefer very much the NanoHone 400 actually. I still have several other mid coarse stones that cover all types, including the Glass 500.

I know what I would get, but it's very hard to say something is better. They serve my needs better.

I work with both Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass.

From feel and feedback, I like the Pro's a bit more, but the Glass bring a slightly better result. But we're talking nuances here, both series are very good and my favorites.

And I have to add, I also know Chosera, Superstones, Gouken, Imanishi, King, Sigma Select and Suehiro Cerax and Traditional.

Last edited:
In general I prefer Pro over glass but both are nice. I have the g 220, 1000, 3000 & 8000, Pro 120 & 1000 (but I have tried other Pros that I like).

I also vote for the Shapton Pro 120. It won't abrade the metal in quite as extreme a fashion as an Atoma 140, but it'll be a quite a bit nicer to your fingers and pose no risk of the abrasive-crystals ever being permanently dulled.

For a mid-coarse stone in the 500 range, you might also consider a Morihei 500 or Naniwa Pro 400. (Can't say anything about the Shapton Glass 500 since I've so far not used a Shapton Glass yet.)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’ve come to realize that @inferno is right. The answer is ’both’. Due to an incident the other day I now have a 1k combo stone. It’s a Shapton glass pro, or a Shapton Pro glass. Not sure.

Attachments

• 907D4439-6249-485D-AE5A-1527D891E416.jpeg
    907D4439-6249-485D-AE5A-1527D891E416.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 115
  • CEE07F3C-FEF9-4F1B-8427-038DBBA0D462.jpeg
    CEE07F3C-FEF9-4F1B-8427-038DBBA0D462.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 4E719616-5CA2-469E-A55F-4CD145447291.jpeg
    4E719616-5CA2-469E-A55F-4CD145447291.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 112
is that a 1k and 3k combo?? :)
or 1 and 2??
1 and 4?

looks factory as fuk to me at least :) the new glasspro line..

i love my 1 and 2k pro combo. its all you need really. whats really to complain about.

is that a 1k and 3k combo?? :)
or 1 and 2??
1 and 4?

looks factory as fuk to me at least :) the new glasspro line..

i love my 1 and 2k pro combo. its all you need really. whats really to complain about.
It’s actually 1k and 1k. Strangely they don’t add, so it’s not a 2k. I really like both the pro and the glass, so I’m glad they’re united. I hope this little glue thing will also have the good side effect of increasing the life of both stones. It’s about 3-4 mm left of the sg1k, and I’ve heard the glass can crack when the abrasive layer gets too thin. Thinness is the least of my concerns now 😁.

It’s actually 1k and 1k. Strangely they don’t add, so it’s not a 2k. I really like both the pro and the glass, so I’m glad they’re united. I hope this little glue thing will also have the good side effect of increasing the life of both stones. It’s about 3-4 mm left of the sg1k, and I’ve heard the glass can crack when the abrasive layer gets too thin. Thinness is the least of my concerns now 😁.

so its a shapton "dual stone" lol. i guess suehiro will sue you now. and also sue shapton for letting you do this. expect yakuza people wanting to "talk to you" soon.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’ve come to realize that @inferno is right. The answer is ’both’. Due to an incident the other day I now have a 1k combo stone. It’s a Shapton glass pro, or a Shapton Pro glass. Not sure.
I've actually been debating with myself of gluing either a Shapton Pro 120 or Naniwa SS 220 to the back of my Glass 500. Or gluing the SP 120 and SS 220 to an old chinese diamond-less plate.. 🤔🤷‍♂️

all those sounds like good gluejobs imo. i would probably go with sp120 and glass 500 myself. the ss 220 i would glue to an ss 2k or so. and those would the followups after the shaptons.

Back