Shapton Hard and Soft bond glass stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking at Shapton glass stones. A few suppliers in my part of the world sell these without the distinction between Hard and Soft bond - Shapton | Dictum (of course) makes the distinction, stating the Soft bond are more suitable for carbon steel and Hard bond for alloys. Is this a total nerd, connoisseur deep-dive, and if I use Hard bond on my carbon steel, am I going to a.ruin my knives and b. really notice the difference? (I am only 1/7th the way to being a nerdy connoisseur).
Very specific question - sure someone out there has the answer.
Have a fine evening/morning/afternoon depending on which time zone you find yourself in.
Cheers.

I use the HR stones on carbon steel all the time. For most uses, I prefer them to the HC stones for carbon steel, because there is more sharpening action; the HC stones more tend to mirror polish.

I like the HC stones, and use them for razors, but I'd call them very very optional. They do have a nice creamy sharpening feel.

I use the HR stones on carbon steel all the time. For most uses, I prefer them to the HC stones for carbon steel, because there is more sharpening action; the HC stones more tend to mirror polish.

I like the HC stones, and use them for razors, but I'd call them very very optional. They do have a nice creamy sharpening feel.
Thank you :)

You won’t damage what you’re sharpening the difference will be in feedback (how it feels) and speed. If you’re happy and getting good edges don’t fret

Back