Shapton Pro 1k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
They gave me one of these today at work, which was nice :).

I’d not tried before, but f me is it good. Get much love here? (Perhaps it does, and I’d just ignored because the 1.5k is pretty pants...)

I’d go so far as to say it’s the best 1k sharpening stone I’ve used.

3B5CFAE5-020C-42C2-985F-6846DCE53A8F.jpeg

I’d not tried before, but f me is it good. Get much love here? (Perhaps it does, and I’d just ignored because the 1.5k is pretty pants...)

View attachment 232739
I agree. It's fast, easy to use, and cuts everything. If I need to clean up bevels, I use either this or the sg500.

This is the stone that I recommend to people who are getting into sharpening, it is significantly faster than King 1K, and easy to use, for new sharpeners it is very important to build some confidence which this stone does greatly. It is coarser than other Japanese 1K but doesn't really matter for a working edge. Just don't buy the common SP 1K + 5k combo, I really really don't like their 5K.

This is the stone that I recommend to people who are getting into sharpening, it is significantly faster than King 1K, and easy to use, for new sharpeners it is very important to build some confidence which this stone does greatly. It is coarser than other Japanese 1K but doesn't really matter for a working edge. Just don't buy the common SP 1K + 5k combo, I really really don't like their 5K.

Yeah the 5K is hard stone with zero feedback. The 12k has more feedback than the 5K.

I agree. It's fast, easy to use, and cuts everything.
It is coarser than other Japanese 1K

This is probably why I liked it so much - it’s an extremely fast stone, and doesn’t turn its nose up at annoying stainless. Faster even than the King 800 I’d say, while also giving cleaner edges. (Obviously it’s not going to polish like a King 800, but you can’t ask for the moon on a stick!)

This is the first stone that I got when getting into sharpening;-)

Yeah the Shapton Pro lineup is consistently excellent. Minus the 5k, it’s not very good overall in comparison to the rest. Every other stone in that lineup I’ve enjoyed. Haven’t tried the 30k but don’t have a reason to. Just go 2k to 8k or 1k to 8k or 1.5k to 8k or just skip to the 12k. They all cut so fast it doesn’t matter much.

View attachment 232739
I am on my second one. Although I have not used it much since I left the hotels. It is a good stone if you need to do some business right about now.

I understand that the Shapton Pros is often considered a bit more coarse than it's rating in opposition to Naniwa Pro which is finer. Would I think right if I think a SP 1k be comparable to a NP 600 or 800?

Very usefull stone, i like it a lot for reshaping the heavier problems of our knives/aka thinning jobs. This and a Kitayama/some Natural and you are god to go.

SirCutALot

Does anybody have water management issues with theirs?

Mine keeps just wanting to dry out on me so damn quick. Like I can’t even work on one side of a blade before it’s dry quick. I did get it in around 2015 off eBay from Japan and the markings on it are slightly different (it does include the grit printed on it)

Mine keeps just wanting to dry out on me so damn quick. Like I can’t even work on one side of a blade before it’s dry quick. I did get it in around 2015 off eBay from Japan and the markings on it are slightly different (it does include the grit printed on it)
No, not at all. Mine is super easy to use. It does not absorb water very readily.

One of my frequent uses for SP1000 is to get that first burr before moving to G2K then G4K (or G6K ) depending on knife.

Keep adding water until it stops drying out on you. I'd even suggest setting up the stone, wet it, get everything else together, then add more water before you start working.

Keep adding water until it stops drying out on you. I'd even suggest setting up the stone, wet it, get everything else together, then add more water before you start working.

I had been running it under the tap for about 30 seconds, but it was leaning on the side of the sink, so maybe it was just running off. 🤔. When I tried today I was holding it flat under the tap so maybe that was the difference.

has anyone tried both SP1k and SG500 and could compare them?

I have the SG500 and understand they might be close in grit and speed (SG finishes a bit finer, like 600, and SP a bit coarser like 800?)

@cotedupy would be interesting to hear your thought on SP1k vs. SP1.5k

I have the SG500 and understand they might be close in grit and speed (SG finishes a bit finer, like 600, and SP a bit coarser like 800?)

If you're wondering if the SP1k would be a good match for SG500, I'd skip it and go 2k or higher. Unless you're looking for a tight stone progression. They're far enough apart to not be the same, but close enough to be quite similar.

I sorta treat my SG500 and SP1K as an either or situation.

I usually jump from the SG500 to the SG3K.
If you're wondering if the SP1k would be a good match for SG500, I'd skip it and go 2k or higher. Unless you're looking for a tight stone progression. They're far enough apart to not be the same, but close enough to be quite similar.

thanks, I figured... I was actually thinking "since I use my SG500 a lot, I might try the SP1k since it has a similar use case and see which I prefer"

I'm currently jumping from SG500 to SG2k and it works really well...

View attachment 232739

Lol it's entirely a common occurrance that folks will find this one their favorite. I miss mine, although not so much. I mean I didn't need it anymore, and still don't, but I often think back upon all the good it brought me, and the extraordinarily efficient multipurpose-easy resilient stone it was.

The SP1500 is also an excellent stone, as is the SP2K. I've always thought Shapton knew what they did alright with that weirdly accurate accumulation of rather similar mid grits behavior into a single series. By similar I mean, they're pretty polyvalent, and having any of these doesn't really mean you'd need one of the other two. But righteously enough, to me the 1K is the sharpener, the 1500 is the polisher, and the 2K is the everyday-stropper if you need one on the counter ready to be used, or in my use, just a stone I'll go to for touch ups or as a deburring step with difficult steels.

This is my experience. I routinely use SG2K and either 4K, 6K, or 8K. If I need to drop down, I go to SG320. There's no problem jumping from the 320 to the 2K. Back on topic, I agree with SP1K is an amazing and versatile stone.

Can any of you compare the SP 1k to the Suehero Cerax 1k, especially in edge scratch pattern?

I've read sp1k =800 grit, and cerax1k=1300 grit.
Though they are both labeled 1k, are they just too different to fairly compare, and how do the cutting edges finished with these compare?

Last edited:

They are much closer than the numbers make it seem. The sg500 is a touch coarser but I never find a need to use both in the same progression. I just grab the 500 when I want more speed than the 1k. Often it's when sharpening soft stainless for family, I'll do sg500 and then couple swipes on the sp2k

Back