Sharpening a Blazen 240...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atreidai

Reaction score
Cheers,
I am bringing a fellow cooks knife home with me this "weekend" (read the Monday-Tuesday restaurant dark days...) He asked me to help him out since his edge needs a little love.
I took my MAC Ultimate to "two pennies" high bevel angle that I read about on JCK...will this work for his Blazen? or did I screw my knife all to heck and back? (The edge FEELS fine...its sharp...thats all that counts right?)
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated I wont be starting this till Monday so youve all got lots of time to give me info overload!

-D

Oh...and I have the usual "Dave" stones set: 500 Beston, 1200 Bester, 5000 Rika, Takenoko... FYI

I've used that height on many of my knives and for some makes it works a whole lot better. It really depends on the steel and such. I've found that a few I've done at such a low angle like Global hold it but the edge won't last that long. While Shun in my opinion chips out a whole lot if you take it down from 15 or 16 degrees. So you have to see for yourself how much you like it. I would hold off until some others chime in. But that has been my experience with that. Hope it helps.

i've took my Akifusa to about 12 degrees, and it hasn't had problems chipping. it's similar to the Blazen, i believe.

Thanks lads!

I wanted to take before and after pics, as well as during pics to post a little "progression" deal for critique....but as always time was short and i jumped right in! But never fear the sharpening worked like a dream, I repaired a tip that was rounded and tool the knife through the whole progression and it came out a real champ, the fellow I sharpened it for said it felt like a new knife, I was pleased!

Thanks again for the words and help!
-D

Back