Sharpening a global?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Globals are prone to facet using that technique,
whereas 3m papers on flex-backing makes the
convexing easy.

as someone said above the steel is a PITA.

Guess it's a good thing I don't sharpen globals;) That said, if it facets then you need to work on the technique...can't really see that being related to the knife...

Guess it's a good thing I don't sharpen globals;)

LOL. That was my guess.
The technique you mentioned works on 'normal' steels.
But this is a 'how to sharpen a Global' thread ;)

Anything I'm missing here? Anyone gotten good results with a Global?

I have the 5" Chef's Prep Knife. But I only had the knife for 4 months and only light sharpened it twice on the Chosera 3K. I left the factory convex edge as is. With a convex edge finding the optimal angle is a little challenging but it can be done. Then deburr at the same angle. Why change the geometry of the edge when you don't have to? I really like the bite Globals have. To preserve the bite similar to factory I wouldn't go any higher than 3K.

LOL. That was my guess.
The technique you mentioned works on 'normal' steels.
But this is a 'how to sharpen a Global' thread ;)
The technique Chinacats describes works well with Globals as well, as I could verify. Wouldn't know what makes one believe its steel behaves so much differently or is especially prone to facetting.

The technique Chinacats describes works well with Globals as well, as I could verify. Wouldn't know what makes one believe its steel behaves so much differently or is especially prone to facetting.

I think you may be mis-under-estimating
what a (true) convex edge is...

its not a flat edge with a blended shoulder...
its a continuos convext to the edge.

and this is why they are done on flexible backings.
Especially on a 56-58 underhardened stainless.

So here you're arguing with not only
conventional wisdom (on any steel)
but on a particularly difficult steel.

Which even if it is true,
is bad "off the shelf"
advice for people

cheers

Now lets talk about that burr removal ... :rofl:

I think you may be mis-under-estimating
what a (true) convex edge is...

its not a flat edge with a blended shoulder...
its a continuos convext to the edge.

The technique we're referring to leaves just that...a true convex edge and not one that could be faceted as it involves a rolling motion vs multiple flat motions...again, a true convex :razz:

I'll see if I can find the video as you obviously didn't understand my explanation... likely due to the lack of quality explanation but I maintain all my convex edges this way and it works...

Now deburring ****** steel is a whole other story...:wink:

Edit:

You'll notice he mentions faceting during the thinning part of one of these videos but the convexing is fairly clear the way he teaches it, and you shouldn't get faceting on the edge if done correctly...I've modified to fit my personally style/touch...ymmv.

https://youtu.be/3lxBVDAoqHM

https://youtu.be/UdEe9sEQRcE

I'm fairly certain the convex bevels of Global knives are less the result of purposely designing them that way and more a function of their manufacturing process.

There's nothing special about it. It's chunky.

Thin the heck out of it and get it sharp, when it dulls most Global users put it to a honing rod anyway so any of you guys' fancy pants convex bevels will get wrecked anyway.

Make it sharp, hand it back to the poor soul who owns it. Done.

Lol, aint that the truth. How the hell did Global make such a good snow job on soooo many cooks I know. The conversation usually something like this. "yes, yes, I love a good knife that's why I bought a whole set of Globals!" We're taking CHEFS here. You would think that they should know better after a life of suffering poor blades. Hell, I prefer a cheap old Forschner, it as at least thin with a decent profile.
Lol.

Lol, aint that the truth. How the hell did Global make such a good snow job on soooo many cooks I know. The conversation usually something like this. "yes, yes, I love a good knife that's why I bought a whole set of Globals!" We're taking CHEFS here. You would think that they should know better after a life of suffering poor blades. Hell, I prefer a cheap old Forschner, it as at least thin with a decent profile.
Lol.

Pretty sure you can blame Anthony Bourdain for the Global phenomenon.

I've hand sharpened one for a co-worker. Never again. It's by far the worst sharpening experience I've had.

I'm fairly certain the convex bevels of Global knives are less the result of purposely designing them that way and more a function of their manufacturing process.

Thin the heck out of it and get it sharp, when it dulls most Global users put it to a honing rod anyway so any of you guys' fancy pants convex bevels will get wrecked anyway.

Agree.
The Global factory edge shouldn't be the object of special veneration. It's conception has more to do with easy production than with any other consideration. That being said, most of my edges are convex.

There might be a reason they endorse the minosharp pull throughs :)

@HRC_64 is the Haiku-esque format on purpose?

This sounds extremely sensible to me. I did get the ones i sharpened, sharp without too much of a headache(if i remember correctly) but again i spared no amount of aggression getting there. I think, maybe, the gyuto was a pain in the arse.

I agreed to sharpen a global (not sure which exact model, but will be a chef knife/gyuto in the ~8" range) for a coworker. I've never owned a global and am not particularly familiar with the steel/heat treat. Global describes it as: "CROMOVA 18 Stainless Steel, ice tempered and hardened to Rockwell C56° -58°."

I'm guessing it is a fairly typical M/V type stainless. Although 56-58 seems pretty soft, even for your less exotic moly blades.

Bottom line: I'm guessing that I'll do no more than reset the edge using no lower than 1K. Then polish things up at 3K or so. My current stone line up skips from 3K to 8K and I can't imagine that 8K is going to be beneficial with this steel.

Anything I'm missing here? Anyone gotten good results with a Global?

Sharpen it like you would any other knife and ignore the people here that try to play the cutlery snob card. I've used my share of Globals and while they may not be magical blades from a 19th generation samurai sword maker, they are still knives and will cut like any others.

Sharpen it like you would any other knife and ignore the people here that try to play the cutlery snob card. I've used my share of Globals and while they may not be magical blades from a 19th generation samurai sword maker, they are still knives and will cut like any others.
Nothing wrong with being a cutlery snob 😎

No bad starting point. Just be aware that they shouldn't get a high polish, need a good thinning and need a very careful deburring.

I wasn't using the traditional method on the stones.
I was using a diamond rod, best method if you have the feeling of how to use it,
Or the diamond rod move, on a 1000 grit stone.
On the stone it is a ***** to sharpen.
I tried not to loose that fat convex, which is very effective and my favorite characteristic of the knife

I just happened to be working on my cousin's Global when I came across this thread. Seems to be a ton of them out there. I find they cut pretty good once you thin them behind the edge.The tip section needs a lot of attention. Once thinned they're easy to touch up.

IMG_2438.jpg IMG_2443.jpg

I wasn't using the traditional method on the stones.
I was using a diamond rod, best method if you have the feeling of how to use it,
Or the diamond rod move, on a 1000 grit stone.
On the stone it is a ***** to sharpen.
I tried not to loose that fat convex, which is very effective and my favorite characteristic of the knife

How do you deburr after the diamond rod?

Pretty sure you can blame Anthony Bourdain for the Global phenomenon.

Funny thing about Bourdain. That first season, probably 2o years ago???, I thought he had a real interesting slant on things and found him interesting. Unfortunately as time went on, he too found himself far too interesting... lol.

Globals have been introduced half way the eighties. In these days the general public only knew the big German names, thick, heavy and dull.
The Globals were a revelation. Thin, light, sharp out of the box, with a to some appealing, modern design. Easily available. Soft enough to allow the common abuse. Users could go on with their poor habits.
Since they are a bit outdated. Much better stainless knives have become available through distance selling, even to the general public.
But for many, Globals have been a first introduction to better knives.

Funny thing about Bourdain. That first season, probably 2o years ago???, I thought he had a real interesting slant on things and found him interesting. Unfortunately as time went on, he too found himself far too interesting... lol.

To his credit, Bourdain seems pretty self-aware about his narcissism. He also wonders outloud all the time why he's famous lol.

Just has some questionable opinions about knives sometimes. But an interesting guy for sure

Globals are better than any knife I have ever found in a random friend or family members kitchen. Hell, so is a Mercer...:rofl2: And in four countries on two continents. I find that people just generally have crap knives. And at least they are able to be sharpened. With the exception of one no name carbon Chinese cleaver and a Sab that neither of the people would actually use...

I find the annoying to sharpen but I think many people are exaggerating...

I only tried to sharpen my Global peeling knife after reading this thread, and its by far the most annoying experience of my very short/noob sharpening experience.

I feel like they make knives that has bad sharpening properties so they can sell you pull through sharpeners that destroys your knives, then sell you more knives.

And sometimes those poor souls find this forum

I only tried to sharpen my Global peeling knife after reading this thread, and its by far the most annoying experience of my very short/noob sharpening experience.

I feel like they make knives that has bad sharpening properties so they can sell you pull through sharpeners that destroys your knives, then sell you more knives.

And sometimes those poor souls find this forum

Global sells stones too. In fact that's what they recommend. This global's promo video for their sharpening products is hilarious. I already posted it in the youtube knuckleheads thread...

[video=youtube;V9iJy-OZ4us]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9iJy-OZ4us[/video]

Back