Sharpening a Heiji Gyuto...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-rat

Reaction score
Guys

I just received a heiji gyuto (240mm) yesterday! This thing is a work of art and what I thought the mizuno gyuto would be but simply wasn't. Don't get me wrong the mizuno is awesome but its a totally different knife than this even though they have a lot in common: wide bevels, flat profile, great steel, not a laser, great cutters.

Here's my question: how do you guys particularly tk59 and Peco sharpen yours?

Seeing as it takes a nod from single bevel knives with these large wide bevels but on both sides are you basically hamaguriba-ing it on both sides or are you just flattening down the edge of these bevels till a burr forms and deburring and polishing?

thanks folks

i do the shinogi line down, the lift up a tiny bit and do the half-way to the edge thing. Then i blend them. If i end up making it really thin, i micro it.

So no convexing of the edge then, keep the bevel flat? I mean obviously freehanding it will make this happen a little bit but you aren't deliberately clamshelling it on both sides right?

no, i blend them... but hamaguri edge is not a very convex one... its very mellow. What you do is sharpen from the shinogi line down first. You dont need to hit the edge here. Then you lift up a very tiny bit, so you are sharpening from about 1/2 way up the bevel to the edge (forming a burr). Then, you pick the place where the two bevels meet, and sharpen while very slightly rocking in that area. Thats hamaguri.

Jon, when you lift the knife a bit to hit the edge, do you end up abrading all of the core steel? When I've tried this on knives with wide bevels, I usually end up only hitting about half of the core steel. I wonder if I need to lift less, but I thought I was only lifting a tiny bit.

yeah... i end up hitting some of the cladding and all of the core usually. Its each bevel is about 1/2 of the whole. The angle change is very slight. Use sharpie and play around with it a bit... i'm sure you'll get it pretty easily.

Cool, I'll have to try it out again. Thanks for the tip on the sharpie. I'd forgotten about that trick.

For me, in order to keep Zakuri pretty, I do shinogi line to lamination line and lamination line to edge, and blend them. This is pretty much how I sharpen my single bevel knives too. The real pain is the back/left hand side, for me a right hander. Just can't keep my hands steady enough when switching side.

Using a good soft stone, like Takashima from Jon helps making the process going more smoothly.

Last edited:
G-rat: I see you got all the help you need ;)

G-rat: I see you got all the help you need ;)
Haha. I guess I'm late, too. For what it's worth, I don't bother with the compound bevel plus blending. The natural rocking and stone dishing gets it done just fine, imo. Basically, try to be a little sloppy, lol. Lately, I've been putting a "microbevel" on one side at about 20 deg for light use and heavier use, I put 15 deg micros on both sides and start with a lower grit. I think I currently have an edge on mine that started with just a few light passes on a 1k and went up from there. I'm still figuring this knife out. Have fun. :)

Guys

Thanks for all of the input. It will be put ot good use next week when I lay this knife on the stones.

After using it tonight just make some carrot pickles at work I am just blown away by how well it cuts. So even and effortlessly. This just seems like the ultimate gyuto...I know I know a big claim...and I have only used a few (konosuke HD, Misuno blue hontanren and this one) but it just performs so well.

Appreciate the help from everyone...

I know how you feel. The first time I used mine, I couldn't imagine anything cutting with less resistance. It's not the best for the super hard sweet potatoes and squashes, though. Unless someone knows of some technique that would help. I figured it just had to do with the thickness of the knife.

congrats dude, i cannot wait to get my hands on it :D

seriously i think this is probably the best knife for you!!

Back