Sharpening a Misono Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChristianT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried to post this yesterday, but must have screwed something up. Sorry if my question ends up getting posted twice...

I need to sharpen my wife's Misono Sujihiki knife. It doesn't appear to have a bevel on the back, so I think it is a single bevel? I searched around a bit and found a video and some descriptions of uraoshi. I took a few swipes on the 8000 stone and it appears the back is convex - the middle is getting polished, but the edge and spine are untouched. So I am wondering how to proceed. I'm afraid if I try to flatten the entire back, I'll remove too much material. Should I just put a back bevel on it? Do these knives generally have convex backs?

Thanks,
Christian

Put a bevel on the back, it's designed to be a single bevel knife.

I have not seen one in person but I would be shocked if it was a single bevel. Sounds like the left side just has a tiny bevel from deburring. To sharpen, grind the right side until you get a burr and then deburr on the left. If you start to get steering, put a few extra strokes on the left side until you are comfortable with the performance.

Uraoshi is for true single bevel knives- Yanagiba, deba, usuba, etc.

Gyuto, sujihiki, petty, santoku, etc. will always be double bevel knives. You can sharpen asymmetrically, but dont do uraoshi on those knives.

What is different with Misonos is that they convex the edge of the back blade as well, and go far in doing so. I once found a 10 / 14 degree edge to be brought to 17 / 17. You don't have to follow that idea. Begin by removing the shoulder on the face side, work to the very edge and deburr the other side.

It's an asymmetric edge that has been worn down. it used to have a tiny little bevel back there.

Sujihiki is a double bevel knife. Sharpen it as such.

Yup, what these guys said. Sometimes those back bevels are almost non-existent.
I like your wife's taste in knives, by the way.

OK. Thanks everyone. Glad I asked. And glad I don't have to spend the next few hours grinding away at the back :).

Christian

Back