Sharpening angle and finish- the ultimate edge (discussion)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my rule of thumb is to start on the highest grit that will remove enough metal to get a fresh edge (depends on the type of steel and the condition of the edge) and finish on the lowest grit that will adequately refine the edge without losing bite (depends mostly on the product you will be cutting), using the lowest angle that wont chip or roll (depends on the hardness of the steel and again the type of product you will be cutting).

in the real world this of course means there is no single best progression. i might start a honesuki that's had a lot of contact with chicken bones at 400 and finish at 2k, while a yanagiba that's only seen raw proteins i might start at 2k and finish at 12k.

How do you measure those degrees?

Laser Goniometer :)

Or Mahr Surf measuring machine

37088855dm.jpg

Regards

Uwe

Last edited:
my rule of thumb is to start on the highest grit that will remove enough metal to get a fresh edge (depends on the type of steel and the condition of the edge) and finish on the lowest grit that will adequately refine the edge without losing bite (depends mostly on the product you will be cutting), using the lowest angle that wont chip or roll (depends on the hardness of the steel and again the type of product you will be cutting).

in the real world this of course means there is no single best progression. i might start a honesuki that's had a lot of contact with chicken bones at 400 and finish at 2k, while a yanagiba that's only seen raw proteins i might start at 2k and finish at 12k.
This may be the best, most concise explanation I've seen.

Back