D. Martell Sharpening Class - Oct 8, 2011

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
???This could be interpreted so many different ways I don't even want to start.

He said knife play not sword play...

Great class. Helped tons. Dave's Dvd is a good start with good info. Dave in person with real feedback and a few years more insight into things is a whole other level. Cool, relaxed class today, but we all found it truly worthwhile. Heck, I sharpened some more for practice after getting back to the hotel. My edges aren't perfect, but man, they are very noticeably better than what I used to get from my sharpening efforts.

Dave predicted we'd have some blood spilled in the class today. Didn't happen. I did, however, abrade one fingertip a bit much tonight during my after class practice :)

That was the first class with no bloodshed - amazing!

Len, I'm happy to hear that you got something from the class, that's the best part for me. I also really enjoyed your company, you guys were great.

This was a great class: fun, laid back, and informative. Instead of just telling us what to do Dave was great at teaching us to figure out what to do, a subtle but very important difference. Something that will be way more helpful and laid a foundation that we can continue to build on ourselves. To anybody that is sitting on the fence about whether to take one of Dave's classes I heartily recomend it, in 8 hours I learned more then I could have in a year of trying to sharpen my knives at home with Internet videos. I would honestly consider taking the class again or paired with his advanced class. Thank you to the Martell family for allowing us into their home and to interupt their weekend.

Will

This was a great class: fun, laid back, and informative. Instead of just telling us what to do Dave was great at teaching us to figure out what to do, a subtle but very important difference. Something that will be way more helpful and laid a foundation that we can continue to build on ourselves. To anybody that is sitting on the fence about whether to take one of Dave's classes I heartily recomend it, in 8 hours I learned more then I could have in a year of trying to sharpen my knives at home with Internet videos. I would honestly consider taking the class again or paired with his advanced class. Thank you to the Martell family for allowing us into their home and to interupt their weekend.

Will

It was nice meeting you Will and it's great hearing that you got something out of the class. :)

The class was awesome! I really didn't know anything about sharpening my knives, so I was a blank slate so to speak. Dave's presentation was excellent, with just enough detail to be interesting without getting bogged down in detail. For this class, he has obviously taken care to sieve through all the BS and misinformation about sharpening and distill it down to a fantastic one-day presentation. If you're not getting proper results from your sharpening regime, you owe it to yourself to take this class. Believe me, Dave has had years of experience to develop the insight and recommendations that he gives you and that is worth the price alone. I really appreciated the information on preparing your stones, sharpening by feel, stropping and stone selection for specific knives and needs. Plus, I really liked the little extras covered like how to properly repair damaged tips (mine was repaired gratis as the example). Not to mention the screaming edge Dave put on my 100-year old Beatty cleaver. That thing cuts like a $400 gyuto now! Thanks to Dave for this class, his hospitality and the opportunity to learn with some cool fellow knife nuts.

Thanks to the class and a nagging urge to practice what I've learned, I had another late night yesterday. On the plus side, a few more of my knives now have better edges than they ever had before ;)

Thanks to the class and a nagging urge to practice what I've learned, I had another late night yesterday. On the plus side, a few more of my knives now have better edges than they ever had before ;)

Awesome :thumbsup:

To add to the info on Dave's class - it was incredibly helpful! I'm a newbie to decent knives and learning to sharpen and i left class with the info i needed to feel confident to keep moving forward. Dave helped me get a nice edge on a 50 year old MAC knife (sharpening practice). I saw firsthand how to get rid of a wire edge and could instantly see why it's important. His years of experience were compounded into easy, helpful ideas. Can't say enough about it. Great fun!

Heckler - are you going to leave any Shigs for the rest of us? That last knife looked great. Enjoy!

To add to the info on Dave's class - it was incredibly helpful! I'm a newbie to decent knives and learning to sharpen and i left class with the info i needed to feel confident to keep moving forward. Dave helped me get a nice edge on a 50 year old MAC knife (sharpening practice). I saw firsthand how to get rid of a wire edge and could instantly see why it's important. His years of experience were compounded into easy, helpful ideas. Can't say enough about it. Great fun!

Heckler - are you going to leave any Shigs for the rest of us? That last knife looked great. Enjoy!

Welcome!

Welcome, Amy! Welcome to the light :)

Dave, I love how my edges are turning out. Not perfect, but a *lot* better than before - and I was happy with what I had before! (Not any more though...) Spent the evening practicing again, and got 5 knives all up to current-spec. Unfortunately, I got 2 fingertips putting red dye here and there, and my girlfriend is complaining I've spent way too much time this evening on the stones :)

Ah well... I trust that in time I'll stop injuring my fingertips, will be a little quicker, and will get closer to perfect edges. I have faith ;)

It's great to hear that you guys are already getting better, makes me happy. :)

Hey, did you ever get over to that BBQ place?

Oh, yes we did! All of us ended up positively stuffed and satisfied. Really tasty, very nice BBQ. For me, the baby back ribs were the best part of the triple combo that I got - wish I could have some right about now, actually. The pulled pork was tasty but a little too salty for me. The beef brisket was nice, but was beaten out by the ribs that I had right before it :)

It's tasty food with good portions. Good selection on the menu, so I'm sure everyone will find something they really enjoy :)

Oh, yes we did! All of us ended up positively stuffed and satisfied. Really tasty, very nice BBQ. For me, the baby back ribs were the best part of the triple combo that I got - wish I could have some right about now, actually. The pulled pork was tasty but a little too salty for me. The beef brisket was nice, but was beaten out by the ribs that I had right before it :)

It's tasty food with good portions. Good selection on the menu, so I'm sure everyone will find something they really enjoy :)

Oh snap - I'm there! :D

Welcome Amy, don't know how I missed your post, glad you joined the forum. No all the shiges from this point foward will be mine, I figure everyone else has had their chance.

Dave:

I copied your sharpening station idea, got a recycling box and cut up a nice cedar 2x4 to make a bridge, gonna try it out this weekend.

BTW, welcome the the forum Amy you're no longer a lurker!

For what it's worth, I thought the brisket at Muddy's BBQ Truck was amazing as was the Texas sausage link. Pulled pork was OK, ribs were good but I've had so many great ones they didn't make the cut for me. Sides were great especially coleslaw and beans. Oh, the dry-rubbed smoked wings were superb but a little sweet. Birch beer is a must have beverage.

Back