Sharpening crappy knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6A2CD77C-23EE-4BB8-A98E-39C3DDD6A9B0.jpeg
82834AF1-32BF-46AA-B3B4-ABA10BBA1558.jpeg

Well the serration removal went quickly but getting this thing keen is tough. Got sloppy with the NP400 but it’s way the hell better than it used to be. It threw up a bunch of weird sticky swarf as well - crappy steel is much, much less fun than j-steel.

View attachment 127306View attachment 127307

Well the serration removal went quickly but getting this thing keen is tough. Got sloppy with the NP400 but it’s way the hell better than it used to be. It threw up a bunch of weird sticky swarf as well - crappy steel is much, much less fun than j-steel.

Well it's already going to be a load better than when you got it I'm sure :)

It looks like it could just do with a bit of thinning and evening up, which shouldn't take too long. I assume it was only serrated on one side originally...?

Yea, make sure to test cut some carrots with it before sending it back to the owner. Geometry behind the edge matters a ton, especially with crap knives where the apex will be dull in like a week.

Well it's already going to be a load better than when you got it I'm sure :)

It looks like it could just do with a bit of thinning and evening up, which shouldn't take too long. I assume it was only serrated on one side originally...?

Yup just on one side, had to create the bevel on both sides as the original single bevel was like 45 degrees. Definitely could use some thinning but it’s got this weird hollow grind that I’m not going to bother with. I do plan on taking it a bit higher grit to clean it up but mostly for aesthetics and my own benefit 😬

Yup just on one side, had to create the bevel on both sides as the original single bevel was like 45 degrees. Definitely could use some thinning but it’s got this weird hollow grind that I’m not going to bother with. I do plan on taking it a bit higher grit to clean it up but mostly for aesthetics and my own benefit 😬
You just thin granton knives like normal knives. You won't grind enough metal away to effect the hollows of it.

Think he might be talking about the concave grind near the edge, not the grantons. It should def be thinned tho.
Oh ok, yeah that will be removed in no time if that's what he means.

Id like to see a choilshot to compare vs. post #62 when you are done.

Looking good!

Reactions: Pie
As hideous as some of those coated knives might actually look... did you test the food release? I've seen some cheapass teflon-coated knives and I can imagine that the food release on them might actually be decent; for all its flaws, teflon does actually work.

Id like to see a choilshot to compare vs. post #62 when you are done.

Looking good!
Appreciate the positive comments guys 🙂

B50CC44A-741D-4AB3-9FE5-E2E53C177921.jpeg
Before, after serration removal (roughly post #62), after thinning. It’s not much thinner behind the edge unfortunately, but the wonky hollow is gone and the end result somewhat resembles a knife.

Next up, polishing!

Last edited:
I’m done with this one, spent about 3 hours total on it and learned a few things. The steel is really gummy soft weirdness and not quite worth taking all the way down to proper thinness/geometry with how slow I am at thinning.

I’m done with this one, spent about 3 hours total on it and learned a few things. The steel is really gummy soft weirdness and not quite worth taking all the way down to proper thinness/geometry with how slow I am at thinning.

@Grayswandir

The steel is also not hard enough to handle it. You'll end up with a weak foil edge that crumples

Too late, but I would have kept the serrations as they help saw through things with a steel that otherwise won't hold a edge. A heavy thinning from the back side only would have made it cut a lot better.

Too late, but I would have kept the serrations as they help saw through things with a steel that otherwise won't hold a edge. A heavy thinning from the back side only would have made it cut a lot better.
Serrations removed was the request, I merely complied. Chances are it won’t hold the edge beyond a couple uses, but the idea was to have it not destroy the food it goes through. The good news is it survived 2 (gentle) preps with little loss in keenness.

Eh the serrations those kind of knives have are kinda useless imo

@Grayswandir

The steel is also not hard enough to handle it. You'll end up with a weak foil edge that crumples

Idk, I feel like the way to make these crap knives perform decently is to have them be reasonably thin behind the edge, but then put a conservative bevel on it. The edge will dull immediately, but it'll still cut because of the reasonable geometry.

Idk, I feel like the way to make these crap knives perform decently is to have them be reasonably thin behind the edge, but then put a conservative bevel on it. The edge will dull immediately, but it'll still cut because of the reasonable geometry.

You just gotta be careful. Cheap stamped blades start out pretty thin already. If you thin behind the edge too much, when you go to put your conservative bevel on it there won't be enough meat to support it.

Ya, that's often true. His choil shot doesn't look super thin tho.

Most definitely not thin enough to worry about edge integrity. Being completely honest I got distracted by how strange the NP400 “polished” and said screw thinning, let’s play with the finish and decided not to put more effort in.

I agree, it’s not nearly thin enough to perform like I want my own knives to perform, but the end user in this case isn’t going to be able to tell. Laziness won this round.

Back