Sharpening help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically you are shapening knives that are not fun to sharpen. Yes you should be using a courser stone.
But if you want to enjoy the process much more, get a cheap Shirogami knife. You will enjoy the process much more and feel much more competent.

Forgive me as I’m so new to this. My understanding of maintaining a good edge says that once it is sharp, then it’s not necessary to drop down to lower grits. But, I am not yet a good judge of when a lower grit is needed.

From what I’ve learned in this forum the Chosera 800 behaves like a higher grit rating, but cuts well. The impression I got from working with my Wusthof is that very little was changing, despite a fair amount of slurry, etc...

The SG320 should be faster than a Chosera 400 but I’m worried about taking off too much steel. Will admit this can be fun!

I’m trying to learn and become truly self sufficient with sharpening. Even though I watch YouTube videos (jki and Ryky and more) the learning curve is bigger than I thought.
If it's kind of sharp, sure, don't drop to a coarser stone. But if you're spending a lot of time on the 800 stone and getting nowhere, drop down lower in grit.

Don’t flog yourself for having trouble with soft ss, it’s no fun and rather hard job especially when dull.

Your results towards what was needed says it all: one was not too dull and went rather well on #800. Perhaps it will go as fast for a dull one if you lower the grit. Then use the 800 to deburr and refine.

It’s no crutch it’s logical progression of a soft ss - going high serves little but starting low when dull is much quicker. Your #800 is a good edge enough for these also, so dull progresses, but still a bit sharp is touched up on the 800.

I think you did well. Use your tools at their best is all there is here. For now.

go back at it!

Forgive me as I’m so new to this. My understanding of maintaining a good edge says that once it is sharp, then it’s not necessary to drop down to lower grits. But, I am not yet a good judge of when a lower grit is needed.

From what I’ve learned in this forum the Chosera 800 behaves like a higher grit rating, but cuts well. The impression I got from working with my Wusthof is that very little was changing, despite a fair amount of slurry, etc...

The SG320 should be faster than a Chosera 400 but I’m worried about taking off too much steel. Will admit this can be fun!

I’m trying to learn and become truly self sufficient with sharpening. Even though I watch YouTube videos (jki and Ryky and more) the learning curve is bigger than I thought.

GoldCoastMitch,,, how are you at "reading" your bevel? That's really step #1. You read not only with your eyes, but with your finger-tips (or thumb) as well.

My wife and mom use German stainless knifes. I keep them sharp with a steel and a leather strop. That combo keeps them plenty sharp. If they get to the point of needing a stone then they are in rough shape and probably have divots or chips. At that point I go to my 320 grit and finish on my 800. All of my knifes in White, AS, R2 etc I always go 800 then finish on 5k. My reasoning for doing the soft stainless at 320 is that I can still keep moderate pressure and good technique. If I start at 800 I have to use more pressure or time and my technique falters.

Back